Research Program Manager, Academic Relations
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
We are looking for an experienced Research Program Manager with a passion for building amazingly effective operational research and outreach programs.
The Facebook Research Program Manager is responsible for managing the strategic engagement and relationships between Research Operations and Academic Relations (ROAR) team and various research groups within Facebook. This role balances strategic insight and vision with operational delivery; it provides an interface between the research teams and others in the ROAR team that can help ensure the best research outcomes for Facebook as it engages with external academic institutions.
The goal of this position is to help establish Facebook as the leading collaborative research organization and the destination of choice for academic talent looking to help connect the world.
This position is located at our headquarters in Menlo Park, California.
- Driving operational excellence at strategically identified academic research conferences, workshops and summits
- Working with Research Leads to identify how and which external research engagements can best deliver on the team goals
- Oversight and stewardship of Annual Awards Programs
- Helping to identify compelling narratives that showcase Facebook's research capabilities
- Provide program oversight for each engagement, partnering with PhD Recruiting and Communications as required
- Support the ROAR Director in ensuring the investments and portfolio reflect the research imperatives for Facebook
- Establish a rhythm and cadence for engagement with the research teams
- Advance Facebook Research business goals by creating and reinforcing external partnerships across academic and research organizations
- Partner with multiple internal cross-functional teams (Research, Recruiting, Policy, Legal, and Creative) within Facebook to drive the execution of Research brand objectives
- Maintain a working partnership with stakeholder business managers and administrators to ensure ROAR is the go-to team for academic engagement
- Recommend and implement process improvements including improving tools and infrastructure
- 5+ years of experience in research or technical program management
- 5+ years of professional experience interfacing with the academic research community and awareness of engagement mechanisms, sensitivities to IP issues, and understanding of the academic calendar
- Knowledge of the Academic and Research Business Practices and the ability to identify ROI opportunities for research investments
- Experience managing a multi-million dollar research budget
- Ability to create and deliver a strategic plan in close partnership with the Research team and the functional and support resources within ROAR
- Experience working with academic and industrial research organizations
- Experience working internationally both through direct engagement with researchers and through collaboration with internal partners
- Ability to drive initiatives at both strategic- and executional-levels
- Experience in facilitating the information exchange between the research teams and the business or product delivery organizations
- Experience working in a multi-national technology-focused company
- Advanced degree, including Masters or PhD
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top