Research Intern, Systems and Infrastructure (PhD University Student)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook builds systems that allow more than a billion people all over the world to connect and communicate using whatever devices they have available. Our systems need to be scalable, fast, reliable, and efficient in order to provide a great user experience. As we design and build these systems, Facebook engineers encounter grand challenges across all levels of systems-from data center, hardware, storage, mobile, to distributed systems, just to name a few. Moreover, fast evolving social apps and highly dynamic social workloads present us with many unique research opportunities. The entire Facebook platform is our lab for research, development, and innovation.
As a PhD intern at Facebook, you will help build the next generation of systems behind Facebook's products, create web applications that reach millions of people, build high volume servers and be a part of a team that's working to help connect people around the globe.
The ideal candidate will have a keen interest in relevant engineering fields, such as (but not limited to) distributed software systems, storage systems, data warehousing and analytics, database systems, operating systems, networking systems, programming languages, compilers & runtime systems, cryptography, security & privacy and mobile systems.
The duration of this internship is sixteen (16) weeks with Summer, Fall, and Winter start dates. Internships will be awarded on a rolling basis and candidates are encouraged to apply early.
- Build highly-scalable software systems using primarily C++ and Java.
- Analyze the shortcomings of existing systems and propose potential design alternatives.
- Design flexible APIs for Facebook product teams developing applications for web and mobile.
- Build detailed monitoring to track the health of these systems and quickly triage issues.
- Perform specific responsibilities which vary by team.
- Pursuing a PhD degree in Computer Science or related field
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship/co-op
- Extensive experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
- Ability to communicate complex research in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- Fluency in C++, Java or other related language
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Demonstrated software engineering experience via an internship, work experience, coding competitions, or PhD papers
- Experience conducting original research in the area of research that can be applied to problems at Facebook.
Back to top