Research Intern, Optical Physics (PhD University Student)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Facebook Reality Labs are a world leader in the design of virtual reality systems. We are currently seeking innovative research interns with a passion for technology to develop next-generation head-mounted display and imaging systems at our research location in Redmond, WA. These roles are focused on the research and development of optical components and systems towards building advanced virtual reality display systems. In particular we welcome PhD students in optical science or engineering, electrical engineering, physics, material science, mechanics and mechatronics or similar.
Our internships are twelve (12) to twenty four (24) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
- Develop next generation AR/VR display prototypes with an emphasis on both modeling and prototyping of the new concepts.
- Explore concepts and development of novel polymer materials starting with fundamentals and prototype fabrication with line of site to device level application.
- Implement fabrication techniques to produce novel polymer materials.
- Implement characterization techniques for electrical, mechanical, structural, and electromechanical properties of novel polymer materials.
- Collaborate with modeling team to develop and optimize polymer material properties.
- Collaborate with the larger Facebook Reality Labs team and provide creative leadership on polymer processing technologies.
- Pursuing a PhD degree in the field of Applied Physics, Optical Science or Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related field
- Currently enrolled in a full time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship.
- 2+ years experience in geometric optics, physical optics, or nano-scale optics emphasizing modeling and hardware prototyping
- 2+ years experience with optical modeling programs such as Lumerical or Comsol
- 2+ years experience with experimental materials characterization and conducting laboratory work (i.e., demonstrated ability to construct proof-of-concept systems and to evaluate performance)
- 2+ years experience with scientific programming languages such as Matlab, Python, Mathematica, or similar
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Able to obtain work authorization in the U.S. between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by first-authored publications and conference presentations
- 2+ years experience with optical modeling programs such as Code V, Zemax, Lighttools, FRED.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top