Research Intern, Mechatronics and Soft Robotics (PhD University Student)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) is a world leader in the design of virtual and augmented reality systems. We are currently seeking innovative research interns with an interest in technology to develop next-generation soft robotic systems at our research location in Redmond, WA. These roles are focused on the research and invention of haptics, soft active materials, fluidic actuators, and related test infrastructure. In particular, we welcome PhD students in robotics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, bioengineering, materials science, or similar field.
This internship is sixteen (16) to twenty-four (24) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
- Research next generation soft haptic and robotic devices with an emphasis on both theory and physical embodiment of the new concepts.
- Application areas include: Characterization of electromechanical devices
- Soft mechanism design (e.g. fluidic actuators)
- Sensor fusion
- Machine learning on embodied robotics
- Systems level soft robotics integration
- Micro- and Macro- fluidics characterization.
- The position will have an emphasis on fundamental scientific and engineering questions related to the still-unknown mechanisms of soft active materials to inform new concepts and the perceptual impact of those concepts.
- Collaborate with the larger Facebook Reality Labs team and provide creative leadership on soft robotics and characterization.
- In the process of obtaining a PhD degree in robotics, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering.
- Currently enrolled in a full-time PhD program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship.
- 1+ years experience hardware prototyping, additive manufacturing, computational design and materials testing
- 1+ years experience with experimental robotics and conducting laboratory work (i.e., demonstrated ability to construct proof-of-concept systems and to evaluate performance)
- 2+ years experience with scientific programming languages such as Matlab, Python, Mathematica, or similar
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Must be available for 12 or 16 week internship between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019
- Demonstrated experience in the field of robotics and mechatronics via work experience, an internship, or widely used contributions to open source projects.
Back to top