Research Intern, Mechanical Engineer (PhD University Student)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
We have a mechanical design and prototyping internship available, working with our multidisciplinary Brain-Computer-Interface (BCI) team at Facebook's Menlo Park office, where we are developing novel wearable neural interface technologies.
Our internships are twelve (12) to twenty-four (24) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
- Rapid prototyping of mechanical components and systems, including designing in CAD, fabricating, assembling, and integrating into a system
- Characterization of mechanical and opto-mechanical components and systems
- Pursuing a PhD in computer science, human-computer interaction, electrical engineering, or related field.
- Currently enrolled in a full time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship
- 2+ years of experience in C++/C#, Matlab, or Python.
- Familiarity with HCI user evaluation methodologies.
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Able to obtain work authorization in the U.S. between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a PhD degree or completing a postdoctoral assignment in the field of Mechanical Engineering
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship/co-op
- 2+ years of mechanical design/prototyping experience
- Experience with mechanical CAD tools such as NX or Solidworks
- Experience across a range of manufacturing techniques (machining, 3D printing, injection molding, etc.)
- Must be available for 3-6 month internship between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019.
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
Back to top