Research Intern - Interaction Tracking (PhD)
- Marin City, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) teams are looking for exceptional interns to help us create next generation virtual and augmented reality input technologies. Join a full-stack team working on computer vision, machine learning, real-time state estimation, geometric and appearance modeling, physically-based modeling, sensor design and fusion, and human computer interaction. We are accepting applications from students interested in (but not limited to) the following areas:- Optical tracking of hands, bodies and objects and their interactions through state estimation and machine learning - Representation modeling (e.g. appearance, geometry) of hands, bodies and objects for fast simulation and tracking- Physical simulation of soft contact, deformation models for grasp- Sensor fusion (e.g. of pressure, RF, EXG, IMU) with optical tracking - Design and fast evaluation of deep neural networks - Interaction design for hands and bodies in virtual reality and augmented reality Our internships are twelve (12) to twenty four (24) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
- Design and execution of algorithms in the domain of computer vision, real-time state estimation, machine learning, geometric or appearance modeling (computer graphics), sensor fusion, or HCI Software and hardware prototyping, system-building
- Design user studies and experiments
- Collaboration with and support of other researchers across various disciplines
- Communication of research agenda, progress, and results
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD degree in Computer Science, Robotics, Applied Math or a related STEM field
- Excellent interpersonal skills, cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- High levels of creativity and quick problem solving capabilities
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Experience with C++ or Python
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by first-authored publications or implementation of substantial software systems
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as first-authored publications at leading workshops or conferences such as CVPR, ECCV/ICCV, BMVC, NeurIPS, ICML, ICLR, ICRA, IROS, RSS or SIGGRAPH/SIGGRAPH Asia
- Experience in one or more of the following: Computer vision (e.g. e.g. tracking, pose estimation, action recognition), computer graphics (e.g. appearance, geometry, physically-based modeling), robotics (state estimation, optimal control) and machine learning (e.g. neural architecture search, domain adaptation, transfer learning)
- Demonstrated software engineer experience via an internship, work experience, coding competitions, or widely used contributions in open source repositories (e.g. GitHub)
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top