Research Intern, Image Processing (PhD)
AR/VR brings together world-class experts to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. We have a clear mandate to ship products at scale. In particular, seemingly impossible products that define new categories that advance Facebook's mission of connecting the world. The AR/VR Technology Engineering Team has the responsibility for taking breakthroughs in core technology and delivering them to market at scale. The Technology Engineering Camera Team seeks a Research Intern with experience in image processing / computer vision, imaging systems & algorithm development and evaluation. This is an internship position based in our Menlo Park office.
Our internships are twelve (12) to sixteen (16) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
RESEARCH INTERN, IMAGE PROCESSING (PHD) RESPONSIBILITIES
- Define, plan and execute cutting-edge imaging related research to advance AR/VR technologies.
- Novel Optical Imaging & Image Processing / Machine Learning algorithm development and maintenance.
- Imaging system calibration & test method development and maintenance.
- Create proof of concepts experience demo around latest Optical Imaging and Deep Learning / Computer Vision technologies.
- Evaluate imaging system performance (MTF, SNR, etc.,) modeling and analysis.
- Collaborate with software and hardware engineers to develop tradeoff curves for accuracy vs the runtime resources/constraints such as latency, energy
- Communicate the experimental results and the recommendations clearly, both within the group as well as to the cross-functional groups
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD degree in the field of Optics, Imaging Science, Image Processing, Computer Vision, Machine learning or related field.
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- 1+ years experience in imaging or DL/CV algorithms development.
- In-depth knowledge of digital imaging system working principles and best practices with good understanding of image quality fundamentals and their system drivers.
- 2+ years of experience working with computational imaging / image processing areas: Imaging, Algorithms, Optics, Optical Engineering, Hardware prototyping, mathematical optimization, image reconstruction, image enhancement, image stitching.
- 2+ years experience with at least one of the following languages: Python, Matlab, C++/C#.
- 1+ years of experience in rapid prototyping, validation, and debugging of early proof of concept work with cross-functional teams.
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship/co-op
- Detailed understanding of overall systems interactions in the image pipeline.
- Understanding of system performance requirements to support real-time DL/CV algorithms while capturing, encoding, and transmitting high resolution video.
- Working knowledge across the following areas with detailed experience in at least one: 3D scene/object capture & rendering, DL/CV, Deep learning based imaging enhancement & inpainting, HDR video processing, Depth sensing technologies and their applications, ISP fundamental algorithms development, Color imaging tuning.
- Experience with latest generation mobile and consumer electronics chipset architectures.
- Android camera HAL knowledge a plus.
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by first-authored publications.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Back to top