Research Intern, Haptics (PhD University Student)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook Reality Labs is looking for interns with expertise in hardware design, controls systems and user study methods to help us invent technologies for interaction with virtual and augmented worlds. In this role, you will work with world-leading collaborators to improve our understanding of actuation technologies for handhelds and/or wearable devices and pave the way to the next generation of virtual and augmented reality technologies.
This internship is sixteen (16) to twenty-four (24) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
- Plan and execute cutting-edge research to advance AR/VR interaction technologies in actuators and sensors and efficient designs of multi-modal haptic feedback systems, development of prototype units and testing them in AR/VR scenarios.
- Collaborate with other researchers, engineers, and user experience researchers to prototype hardware and software solutions, and run experiments to advance the project.
- Work with leading academic researchers in the field. The work should result in publishable research that appears in top-tier journals or at leading international conferences.
- In the process of obtaining a PhD degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, human-computer interaction, or related field.
- Currently enrolled in a full-time PhD program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship.
- Research skills involving defining problems, exploring solutions, and analyzing and presenting results.
- Hands-on experience with rapid prototyping and mechatronics systems.
- Good understanding of mechanical design, use of CAD tools is a plus.
- Proficiency in C++/C#, Matlab, or Python.
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Must be available for 16 or 24 week internship between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019
- Familiarity with human user studies and use of statistical tools
- Ability to 3D print and work in machine shop with low supervision
Back to top