Research Intern, Experimental Photonics (PhD University Student)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook Reality Labs are a world leader in the design of virtual reality systems. We are currently seeking innovative research interns with a passion for technology to develop next-generation head-mounted display and imaging systems at our research location in Redmond, WA. These roles are focused on the research and development of optical components and systems towards building advanced virtual reality display systems. In particular we welcome PhD students in Physics, Optical Science or Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Material Science, or similar.
Our internships are twelve (12) to twenty four (24) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
- Collaborate with Facebook Reality Lab researchers to develop next generation light sources for use in AR/VR display prototypes
- Develop and evaluate performance of optical characterization methods for a variety of light sources such LEDs, lasers, etc.
- Characterize and analyze experimental results
- share and present findings to the wider Facebook Reality Labs team.
- Collaborate with the larger Facebook Reality Labs team and provide creative leadership on computational display and imaging technologies.
- Pursuing a PhD degree in the field of Physics, Optical Science or Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- Currently enrolled in a full time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship.
- Coursework in Electrodynamics, or Electricity and Magnetism, Semiconductor Physics, Quantum Optics or similar
- 1+ year Experience with experimental optics and conducting laboratory work
- Exposure to optical modeling/simulations methods
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Able to obtain work authorization in the U.S. between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019
- Exposure to measurement automation software in any of the following: LabView, Matlab, Python, or similar
- Exposure to FDTD modeling software such as MEEP, Lumerical, etc.
- 1+ year Experience in building optical set-ups with knowledge of optical components and optical characterization of semiconductor optical devices
- Knowledge of nanofabrication methods for semiconductor-based devices
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by conference presentations and peer-reviewed publications
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top