Research Intern, Computer Vision and Augmented Reality (PhD)
- Redmond, WA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) Research Team brings together a world-class team of researchers, developers, and engineers to create the future of AR and VR, which together will become as universal and essential as smartphones and personal computers are today. The Surreal Vision team is looking for research interns to tackle the most ambitious problems in machine perception.In this internship, you will not only work on the forefront research topics present in academia and industry, but beyond you will work with a team invested in building the complete stack from sensor design to state estimation and tracking to 3D reconstruction to novel scene representations.Our internships are twelve (12) to twenty four (24) weeks long and you have the option to start at various dates throughout the year.
- Research, develop and prototype advanced software technologies in the domain of SLAM, Tracking, 3D reconstruction, SfM, Calibration Automation, Large Scale Optimization, Machine Perception, Deep Learning, State Estimation, Computational Photography.
- Analyze and improve efficiency, accuracy, scalability and stability of currently deployed systems
- Design and execution of algorithms
- Prototyping, building and analysis of experimental systems
- Collaboration with and support of other researchers across various disciplines
- Communication of research agenda, progress and results
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD in the field of Computer Science, Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Robotics, Physics or related field
- Experience with developing machine learning, Bayesian filtering, information theory, 3D geometry, optimization, system building, or physics based simulation
- Experience in C++ or Python
- Experience with statistical analysis of data and mathematical modeling
- Must be available for 3 month to 6 month internship between January 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Experience in geometric computer vision, including tracking, visual-inertial odometry, SLAM, sensor/display calibration, large-scale structure from motion or relocalization technologies
- Experience in working with cameras and advance imaging sensors, IMUs, Magnetometers, GPS, and other sensors that can be used in this context
- Experience with deep learning frameworks like PyTorch
- Broad understanding of the full machine vision pipeline from sensors to high-level algorithms
- Experience with privacy-aware algorithms for 3D reconstruction and machine learning
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as first-authored publications at leading workshops or conferences such as CVPR, ECCV/ICCV, BMVC, NeurIPS, ICLR, ICRA, IROS, RSS or SIGGRAPH
- Demonstrated software engineer experience via an internship, work experience, coding competitions, or widely used contributions in open source repositories (e.g. GitHub)
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top