Research Engineer Intern, Computational Imaging & Graphics (PhD)
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Facebook Reality Labs (FRL) Research Team brings together a world-class team of researchers, developers, and engineers to create the future of AR and VR, which together will become as universal and essential as smartphones and personal computers are today. These roles are focused on developing computational imaging and graphics methods that deliver quality and performance improvements within a virtual reality graphics pipeline. In particular we welcome PhD students in computer science, electrical engineering, physics, or similar, with a strong background in prototyping 3D graphics, imaging, or sensing.Our internships are twelve (12) to sixteen (16) weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.
- Develop next-generation head-mounted display prototypes.
- Explore the application of computational imaging methods to virtual reality, emphasizing the development of advanced algorithms, simulations, and hardware capabilities.
- Collaborate with the larger Oculus team and provide creative leadership on computational imaging and graphics technologies.
- Prototype the algorithms on mobile processors.
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD degree in the field of Computer Science, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related field.
- Ability in algorithm development for 3D graphics, displays, cameras, or other optical sensing devices, as demonstrated by publications, internship, work experience, coding competitions, class work, or contributions in open source repositories (e.g Github).
- 1+ years experience with solving graphics problems or inverse problems in imaging emphasizing modeling, algorithm development, and hardware prototyping.
- 2+ years experience programming in C or C++.
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration.
- Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment.
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship/co-op.
- Experience with OpenGL/Vulkan, and/or OpenCL/CUDA.
- Experience with machine learning based image-space graphics or computer vision techniques, specifically ones that are real-time or especially performant. (relighting, segmentation, depth estimation, etc).
- Experience in VR related research.
- Experience in developing algorithms on compute constrained platforms such as mobile SoCs.
- Demonstrated experience via an internship, work experience, or widely used contributions to open source projects.
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by first-authored publications (e.g., SIGGRAPH/Eurographics, CVPR/ICCV/ECCV, Optics Express, etc.).
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Back to top