Public Policy Research Manager, Data
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
We're looking for a Public Policy Research Manager with quantitative analytical skills, as well as policy and/or nonprofit experience to work with our policy team. You will enjoy working with one of the richest data sets in the world, cutting edge technology, and the ability to see your insights turned into actionable policy decisions on a regular basis. In this role, you will have the opportunity to support and build data tools like Facebook's disaster maps platform.
To be successful, you will have a background in a quantitative social science, have experience working with large data sets, and have experience in data-driven decision making. People on this team are scrappy, focused on results, self-starters, and have demonstrated success in using analytics to answer policy-relevant questions.
This role is a full-time position located in Menlo Park, California or Washington, DC.
- Manage the build out of data for good products: Help bring new Data for Good products to life by partnering with Policy, Data Science and Engineering teams to identify datasets that can solve pressing policy problems, and build scalable pipelines and tools to share the datasets with our partners.
- Scale our Data for Good program: Develop and execute an external engagement strategy across our data for good products:
- -Build partnerships with the humanitarian, NGO, and government sectors, supporting partners in leveraging our data in their humanitarian and policy initiatives.
- -Build a training program with our NGO partners so they can best leverage our tools.
- -Identify areas for product/program improvements.
- -Lead program and product roadmap for Facebook priority markets.
- Data Science Management
- -Guiding partners across data science and engineering in the build out of data pipelines that leverage Facebook data for good. Examples include working with data science to brainstorm the best way to leverage Facebook data to support disaster response.
- -Working with a cross-functional team across product design, and data science to ensure the data tools we build are user friendly, and actionable on the ground.
- -Translating raw data into usable insights.
- -Evaluating and defining metrics with policymakers in mind.
- -Producing data visualizations that use data to tell stories.
- -Drafting and editing reports for external publications, including blog posts, white papers, and academic publications.
- -Identifying academic, governmental, and nonprofit partners to collaborate on projects and acting as technical policy lead in external settings.
- -Driving outreach among key stakeholders to communicate our efforts.
- 4+ years experience doing quantitative analysis, solutions engineering or program management
- MA/PhD in statistics, economics, public policy, political science, behavioral, social science or a related quantitative field
- Experience working with governments, nonprofits, or companies seeking to use big data for social good
- Experience in R, Python, SQL and Excel, and version control (Git, Mercurial, Phabricator)
- Experience creating data pipelines, cleaning data, creating visualizations, and interpreting data for audiences
- Experience initiating and driving projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Experience communicating the results of analysis
- Advanced degree
- Consulting experience
- Experience with geospatial data and/or natural language processing
- Experience working with large data sets
- SQL experience
Back to top