Public Policy Manager (WhatsApp)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
WhatsApp is the world's fastest growing communication company with over 1.5 billion active users globally. We help bring friends, families, and communities from soccer groups to healthcare providers together. We are just getting started. WhatsApp is the number two most downloaded app on Android.
WhatsApp Inc., a subsidiary of Facebook, seeks a Public Policy Manager to help develop and support WhatsApp's policy strategy and engagement throughout the world. This is a great opportunity for someone wanting to help shape the future of Internet and mobile policy and make an impact as part of a small, nimble team. Candidates should have strong knowledge of Internet and telecommunications policy issues, including encryption, security, privacy, integrity and safety. They should also have analytical skills. The person will work closely with the Public Policy team and other relevant groups at Facebook.
As a Public Policy Manager for WhatsApp, you will shape various product and issue agendas with policy makers inside and outside government. In addition, you will help advise our internal teams on the public policy challenges and opportunities of their products, working with a cross-functional global team. The role requires significant experience either working with or in government, politics or a regulatory agency as well as an ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues. In this role, you will also manage strategic outreach and policy campaigns to advance the values and interests of WhatsApp. You will advocate for WhatsApp on the big public policy issues of the day and often play a part in high-profile debates.
This role will be based in Menlo Park, California or Washington, D.C.
- Develop and lead strategic outreach and policy campaigns to clear a path for WhatsApp's continued innovation, exploration and growth
- Identify, monitor, and analyze policy issues affecting WhatsApp at the international, federal, and state levels
- Engage directly and build relations with policymakers, trade associations, industry partners, key opinion formers, non-profit groups and others to support policies that will help create/maintain a user-focused, private, safe and secure online environment
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Legal, Communications, Corporate and Partnership teams to build and drive policies that support the company's goals. Lead framework and policy strategy for issues including encryption, privacy, integrity and content
- Build coalitions with other organizations to advance WhatsApp's policy goals
- Develop and project manage innovative policy campaigns
- Develop WhatsApp's narrative around key issues and advocate for WhatsApp positions in briefing papers, consultation responses, internal and external meetings
- Monitor and research current and relevant emerging public policy issues and thought leaders
- Bachelor degree in policy, international affairs, or other similar fields
- 8+ years of similar work experience in public policy, government, or legal, including experience managing policy campaigns and strategic outreach with stakeholders within policy advocacy or in a government position
- Experience advising teams and senior executives on policy matters
- Experience creating policy and leading roundtable discussions
- Masters or JD degree
- Experience in internet technologies, security, privacy, integrity, content moderation and the surrounding policy environments
- Government relations or experience in government working on policy issues
- Experience building relationships with external stakeholders
- Experience executing cross-functional policy/issue campaigns
- Experience in product counseling
Back to top