Public Policy Manager, Strategic Response
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is looking for someone with crisis, risk management, or decision support experience gained in tech, business, or government policy to join our Strategic Response policy team. The team's purpose is to handle crisis situations that require cross-functional coordination, and communication to leadership, in order to mitigate serious risks to the company or the community. This could relate to pieces of content posted on the platform, the impact of terrorist attacks and violent incidents on our platforms, and geo-political events that may present policy risk.
Strategic Response Policy sits within our Content Policy team which is responsible for setting our Community Standards and Business Policies governing content on the platform. The role of Strategic Response Policy is to help leadership make enforcement decisions in the most critical cases when operating under significant time challenge and stakeholder scrutiny. To do that we operate a global 24/7 on-call shift system, with extreme responsiveness and accuracy of communications being of paramount importance. You will need to be personally resilient, flexible and able to multi-task, enjoy quick turnaround work and be prepared to work on thematic issues that some may find emotive.
You will be expected to operate independently, and be confident managing multiple internal stakeholders, balancing differing opinions and perspectives, and weighing up risk in order to provide effective policy advice to leadership. To do this effectively, you are likely someone who can think strategically about risk, whilst also able to probe into the detail of fast moving situations. Someone who has operated at the intersection of policy and operations may be particularly suitable.
Strategic Response Policy is a global team that responds to issues across regions and time-zones. You will be expected to work on issues as they arise irrespective of geography. An understanding of political, cultural or security trends inside and outside the United States is desired.
- Act as a global coordination point for handling high priority escalations and critical incidents, coordinating with Communications, Public Policy, Legal, Operations, and Security teams.
- Produce and present internal communications for leadership to inform them of ongoing situations, and provide recommendations and decision support.
- Proactively identify and assess potential risks, and work with policy, legal and operational teams to develop risk mitigation approaches, and drive cross-functional implementation.
- Inform policy development work, partnering with subject-matter experts to develop global policy standards.
- Bachelor's degree in public policy, legal, political science, risk management, or related discipline.
- 8+ years of experience in policy, legal, risk or crisis management.
- Experience providing decision support and advice to senior executives.
- Experience consensus-building, and communicating with internal and external audiences.
- Knowledge of policy issues affecting technology companies.
- Advanced degree
- Policy implementation or enforcement experience
- Experience managing global technology policy and social media issues
Back to top