Public Policy Manager, Sri Lanka
(New Delhi, India)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Public Policy Manager in Sri Lanka. This position will be part of the Public Policy team for the South Asia region. The person will combine a passion for technology's potential to create opportunity and to connect the community in Sri Lanka in a safe and responsible manner, with deep knowledge of the political and regulatory dynamics in the country.
As a Public Policy Manager, the candidate will be the first point for providing country analysis using their local language skills and technical skills. They will focus on sharing political and social insights with the internal teams on evolving situations, build relationships and engagements with external stakeholders, develop initiatives and support third party projects with internal and external stakeholders including government, NGOs, academia, industry associations, technology companies or other relevant organizations. The public policy manager for Sri Lanka, will report into and support the Public Policy Director for the South Asia region and will become part of a team that is dealing with some of the most interesting public policy challenges of our times including privacy, safety and security, Open internet, the growth of digital economy, and create new opportunities for stakeholder and constituency engagement. This is an extraordinary opportunity to join our growing global public policy team and work on dynamic programs in an exciting, fast-paced environment.
- Monitor Sri Lanka for policy issues at the intersection of technology, social media and local developments impacting the growth of digital economy and society
- Work with the South Asia public policy team to create programs which build confidence amongst the community on the advantages & value of using Facebook across all sections of society. Work with Facebook's Safety and Policy Programs teams and external policy and civil society partners to create and implement country focused policy programs in online safety, privacy, small businesses, to address key policy issues across the region
- Work with cross functional teams across product, marketing and communications across the company to ensure that programs are advancing external understanding around key policy issues
- Build creative partnerships with advocacy groups, academia and industry bodies
- Represent Facebook in meetings with politicians and policymakers
- Represent the company and communicate Facebook's positions on key policy issues in public presentations to a wide range of audiences
- A Law degree or Public Policy degree with focus on Technology Policy
- 10-12 year experience in related areas of public policy such as legislation and/or government relations and advocacy
- Keen understanding of political systems and relevant policy and civil society institutions as well local language understanding of the context in across Sri Lanka
- Excellent judgment, excellent communication and persuasive skills, creativity, perspective, the ability to work with minimal supervision in a dynamic environment
- Experience in policy engagement or development for a multi-national corporation or institution
- Ability to drive and manage multiple projects and campaigns simultaneously
- Ability to think, plan, and execute resourcefully and creatively
- Focus on impact and execution Passion for connecting the unconnected, and experience with relevant policy issues, including hate speech, content, privacy, open internet, online safety, small and medium business, etc.
- Fluency in both written and conversational English and Sinhala (Tamil an added advantage) with superb written communications skills (writing samples required)
- Fluency in technology and a passion for Facebook's mission
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top