Prototyping Mechanical Engineer (Oculus)
As a Prototyping Mechanical Engineer, you will lead the efforts to develop hardware design of new concepts. You will create prototypes and development platforms to assist other teams to conduct studies, test hypotheses, develop algorithms, and create proof-of-concept to be used by a variety of teams. You will work with EE, Optics Engineer, Computer Vision, Automation and Test, our assembly technicians and others to design, CAD, get parts made by various methods and materials, and assemble units for evaluation. This requires good interdisciplinary of the needs of the various teams, including translating sometimes high-level communication and understands requests into hardware vehicles, documenting and working with key stakeholders to ensure agreement on the proposed solution. You are well organized, documenting the design direction and creating simple BOMs to ensure smooth and fast build, and know how to tradeoff between speed and robustness. You excel at interpreting requests into actionable hardware directions, and work well as an interlocutor between different stakeholders to drive consensus. While an expert at mechanical design and fast at CAD, you have a broad technical background and have worked on a variety of products, materials, and processes. You know when to stress details, and when to move fast to build the right prototype quickly.
- Lead Mechanical Engineering activities in cross-functional team environment.
- Model, build, test, and refine prototypes.
- Participate on a multi-disciplinary team to provide advice/guidance/insights to your peers on what to build.
- Apply engineering and tolerance techniques to high precision design requirements in the areas such as Optics, Mechanics, and Motion Control.
- Take prototypes to increasing levels of fidelity, and work with the product focused engineers to translate early prototypes into potential product directions.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 5+ years of product design/prototyping experience, with a combination of focus in areas of precision mechanisms, electro-mechanical systems, and optics, including full system ownership.
- Prior experience designing in CAD.
- Experience in various manufacturing techniques (Machining, 3D printing, injection molding, etc.).
- Experience designing mechanical constraints of PCBs, FPCs, etc.
- MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Design and prototyping of head mounted optics systems.
- Familiarity with camera modules and optical systems.
- Mass Production experience (working with over-seas manufacturing).
- Experience in NX CAD modeling system, and Team Center PDM.
Back to top