Project Manager, Hardware Prototyping
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook supports its goal of connecting the world by building various networking, datacenter, connectivity and human interaction products. Many of these products are custom designed for our requirements and integrate advanced technologies. We are building a modern prototyping facility to support our engineering design teams in the creation of these products. This facility is designed for model making, prototyping and short run production of typically fewer than 100 pieces. We are looking for a Prototyping Project Manager to join our brand new mechanical prototyping facility. This role will be responsible for managing the entire logistical scope from initial prototype request to final delivery. Communication and technical aptitude are critical in this role as the Prototyping Project Manager will be the liaison between Hardware Engineers and the prototyping team and will assist with determining project priority and feasibility. The Prototyping Project Manager will also manage and develop a network of partners and suppliers used to support operations, varying from consumable procurement to outsource manufacturing. Operational efficiency is key, and the Prototyping Project Manager will play a critical role in continuing to build a strong foundation for the team to build from. The prototyping facility includes advanced 5- and 3-axis CNC machine tools, water-jet cutting, manual machine tools, and CNC sheet metal fabricating equipment. The Prototyping Project Manager will work closely with the prototyping team to ensure that logistics and operations are being fully supported. We move fast and are looking for a person who is driven to find the fastest, most efficient ways to solve complex problems related to prototyping logistics.
- Responsible for managing the day-to-day workflow through the lab and ensuring that projects continue to move along smoothly.
- Build relationships with Hardware groups within Facebook and evaluate how the lab can support them.
- Work with the prototyping team to ensure consumables are procured in a timely fashion.
- Maintain and develop relationships with external partners and suppliers to build a strong support network.
- Manage the outsourcing of manufactured prototypes.
- Ability to work cross- functionally with Engineering, Quality and Procurement teams.
- Maintain a Preventative Maintenance Program for all equipment in the shop.
- Support future endeavors including researching new technologies, space planning, and equipment procurement.
- Bachelors or Associates degree in engineering, manufacturing or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of experience with CNC machining and sheet metal fabrication.
- 3+ years of experience driving cross-functional projects with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience supporting materials sourcing, vendor identification, component quality vetting, inspection, or finishing.
- Experience interpreting mechanical drawings through understanding of part features and GD&T.
- Experience with aerospace/telecom/data center technologies.
- Develop performance-based supplier/partner engagement models, to include joint R&D efforts to increase speed, quality, and reliability.
- Experience in one or more of the following: composites manufacturing, model making, electromechanical assemblies, PCB reworking, or 3D printing
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top