Production Engineer, University Grad
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we're just getting started.
Production Engineers at Facebook are hybrid software/systems engineers who ensure that Facebook's services run smoothly and have the capacity for future growth. Production engineers are embedded in every one of Facebook's product and infrastructure teams, and are core participants in every significant engineering effort underway in the company. Our team is comprised of varying levels of experience and backgrounds, from university grads to industry veterans. Relevant industry experience is important, but ultimately less so than your demonstrated abilities and attitude. We sail into uncharted waters every day at Facebook in Production Engineering and we are always learning. This is a full-time position located in our Menlo Park headquarters.
- Own back-end services like our Hadoop data warehouses, front-end services like Chat and Newsfeed, infrastructure components like our Memcache infrastructure, and everything in between
- Write and review code, develop documentation and capacity plans, and debug the hardest problems, live, on some of the largest and most complex systems in the world
- Share an on-call rotation with your Software Engineering team
- Partnered alongside the best engineers in the industry on the coolest stuff around, the code and systems you work on will be in production and used by millions of users all around the world
- Pursuing a BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline
- Knowledge of UNIX and TCP/IP network fundamentals
- Experience coding in at least one language (even if it is not one that Facebook uses)
- Ability to rapidly learn new development languages (Python, PHP, C++, and Java are all in heavy use)
- Ability to pick up new software, frameworks and APIs quickly
- Sharp and tenacious troubleshooting skills: you can fix anything
- Ability to perform 'guerrilla capacity planning' for internet service architectures
- Knowledge of basic large-scale internet service architectures (such as load balancing, LAMP, CDN's), even if you haven't worked on one
- Configuration and maintenance of common applications such as Apache, memcached, Squid, MySQL, NFS, DHCP, NTP, SSH, DNS, and SNMP
- A healthy respect for our mottos "Move Fast" and "Be Bold'
- Ability to communicate well cross-functionally
- Detail oriented and careful
- Ability to obtain work authorization in the United States in 2016
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top