Production Engineer, Intern/Co-Op
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Production Engineers (PEs) at Facebook are a hybrid between software and systems engineers and are core to every significant engineering effort that keeps Facebook running smoothly and scaling efficiently. PEs work within Facebook's product and infrastructure teams to make sure our products and services are reliable and scalable. This means writing code and debugging hard problems in live production that impacts over 2 billion people around the world. Our PEs are embedded in teams that work on products like Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus and Videos to backend services like Storage, Cache and Network. Our team is comprised of varying levels of experience and backgrounds, from university grads to industry veterans. Relevant industry experience is important, but ultimately less so than your demonstrated abilities and attitude. Partnered alongside the best engineers in the industry on the coolest stuff around, the code and systems you work on will be in production and used by millions of users all around the world. We sail into uncharted waters every day at Facebook in Production Engineering.
- Own back-end services like our Hadoop data warehouses, front-end services like Chat and Newsfeed, infrastructure components like our Memcached infrastructure, and everything in between
- Write and review code, develop documentation, and debug the hardest problems, live, on some of the largest and most complex systems in the world
- Experience in *nix (Linux, BSDs, or another UNIX-like OS)
- Experience coding in at least one language
- Ability to learn new development languages (Python, PHP, C++, and Java)
- Ability to pick up new software, frameworks and APIs
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Understanding of TCP/IP networking fundamentals
- Knowledge of internet service architectures (such as load balancing, LAMP, CDN's
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a BS/MS degree in CS, Engineering, or a related technical discipline
- Intent to return to full-time degree program after completion of the internship
Back to top