(New York, NY)
Facebook was built to help people connect and share, and over the last decade our tools have played a critical part in changing how people around the world communicate with one another. With over a billion people using the service and more than fifty offices around the globe, a career at Facebook offers countless ways to make an impact in a fast growing organization.
Production Engineers at Facebook are hybrid software/systems engineers who ensure that Facebook's services run smoothly and have the capacity for future growth. They are embedded in every one of Facebook's product and infrastructure teams, and are core participants in every significant engineering effort underway in the company. Our team is comprised of varying levels of experience and backgrounds, from new grads to industry veterans. Relevant industry experience is important, but ultimately less so than your demonstrated abilities and attitude. We sail into uncharted waters every day at Facebook in Production Engineering, and we are always learning. This position is full-time and located in our New York City office.
- Own back-end services like our Hadoop data warehouses, front-end services like Chat and Newsfeed, infrastructure components like our Memcache infrastructure, and everything in between
- Write and review code, develop documentation and capacity plans, and debug the hardest problems, live, on some of the largest and most complex systems in the world
- Together with your engineering team, you will share an on-call rotation and be an escalation contact for service incidents
- Partnered alongside the best engineers in the industry on the coolest stuff around, the code and systems you work on will be in production and used by millions of users all around the world
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Extremely sound knowledge of UNIX and TCP/IP network fundamentals
- Ability to code really well in at least one language (even if it is not one that Facebook uses)
- Experience coding in at least one language (Python, C++, PHP and Java)
- Ability to pick up new software, frameworks and APIs quickly
- Sharp and tenacious troubleshooting skills: you can fix anything
- Ability to perform 'guerrilla capacity planning' for internet service architectures
- Good knowledge of basic large-scale internet service architectures (such as load balancing, LAMP, CDN's), even if you haven't worked on one
- Configuration and maintenance of common applications such as Apache, memcached, Squid, MySQL, NFS, DHCP, NTP, SSH, DNS, and SNMP
- A burning desire to "Move Fast and Be Bold"
- Good communications skills
- Detail oriented and careful
Back to top