Product Policy Associate Manager, Public Discourse
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Facebook is looking for a creative and analytical thinker with experience in policy, journalism/media, or practicing law to join our Product Policy team. The teamâ€™s mission is to create and communicate rules for how our products may be used by people on Facebook and its family of applications. This person will primarily support the News Feed, Stories, and News Product teams, focusing on issues around balancing free, quality, and relevant expression by people and publishers and issues of algorithmic fairness. These efforts will focus on not just the posts in News Feed but also users' comments on those posts, and this person will support efforts to build a safer, more inclusive, more diverse, and more informed community.
The position will focus on policy development and providing policy guidance. Candidates must be able to apply complex, evolving frameworks to new and innovative products and initiatives and make difficult decisions under pressure. You will provide policy counsel to product teams working to balance challenging issues of free and fair expression against the safety of our community, equity of access to present information to our users, and integrity of the information on our platform. You will also help to qualitatively assess the fairness and effectiveness of the algorithmic ranking products that we employ. You will be responsible for understanding our Community Standards and other policies, and also helping develop and refine specific principles and policies focused on News Feed, public commenting, algorithmic ranking, and content distribution.
The ideal candidate will be able to critically analyze and communicate the costs and benefits of refinements to these policies and principles; make recommendations about how to apply the policies including in differing circumstances such as around elections or when the speakers are publishers or public figures; and have a point of view. The ideal candidate should also have an interest in the development of policies about algorithm usage and algorithmic fairness. You should be passionate about the services we provide and the people that we serve. The ideal candidate will also be passionate about issues around freedom of expression and have demonstrated experience as a creative thinker and problem solver, developing solutions in areas where little precedent existed.
This is a full-time position located at our headquarters in Menlo Park, California.
- Help develop and refine principles and policies related to content distribution on Facebook products (with a particular focus on free, fair, safe, and high-integrity expression).
- Review global products, features, and initiatives to provide practical strategies across multiple jurisdictions.
- Build relationships with and understand the perspectives of partners on internal teams, such as Engineering, Product Management, Communications, Marketing, Partnerships, and Legal, as well as partners on regional Policy teams around the globe.
- Act as a global escalation point of contact and manage internal communications for policy issues.
- Help articulate policy philosophy, launches, and changes to relevant parties, including management, operations, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with Facebook's Public Policy team, as well as external stakeholders, to monitor the global environment for policy issues that impact News Feed.
- Bachelor's degree in Policy, International Relations, Law, or related field of study.
- 5+ years of work experience in policy, law, government, international relations, military, intelligence, academia, and/or with NGOs, with experience on international issues and/or platforms and technology.
- Demonstrated analytical-thinking and problem-solving experience.
- Demonstrated experience in solving problems.
- Advanced degree in public policy, law, or journalism.
- Experience with Internet/social media content issues.
- Product review or counseling experience.
- Knowledge in Facebook products and principles.
Back to top