Product Designer, Portal Product Lines
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Portal is building hardware devices for the home that strengthens people's most meaningful relationships through high quality video calling, entertaining AR experiences, a high resolution photo display, and voice-controlled assistants. Our portfolio of products, which includes Portal, Portal Mini, Portal+, and Portal TV, have been successful in helping people form deeper connections. We are continuing to shape the future of connection by scaling Portal to reach more people around the world.Facebook's Portal team is looking for a Product Designer to join a team that is chartered with concepting, building and shipping category defining devices that empower users to stay more connected with the people they care about. The designer will partner with multiple teams and functions and work across a variety of touchpoints (Core UX, App Experiences, Human Factors Research, Industrial Design, Hardware and Software Engineering, Product Marketing) to craft thoughtful, end-to-end products that add real value to people's lives.We're looking for a designer who isn't afraid to jump in and explore new challenges. You have a balance of interaction design, visual design, and product skills. You have a proven track record of working at the intersection of hardware and software, and a thorough understanding of what it takes to bring a new hardware product to market. You are a strategic thinker that can translate market trends to opportunities that are unique to Portal and Facebook. You can craft a product narrative successfully evangelize your vision across cross-functional partners and key stakeholders.You have an eye for design detail and craft, you are customer obsessed and research driven. You quickly produce interactive or motion prototypes to validate your assumptions and help in decision making. You're a natural collaborator and can work independently and in a team environment.
- Own and contribute to the definition and strategy of one or more key products
- Own and drive the product design from concept to shipping
- Synthesize broad and ambiguous business requirements and accomplish them through design
- Partner with other designers, PMs, engineers, researchers, content strategist & QA, overseeing the user experience from product conception to launch
- Own the end-to-end design (interaction, visual, etc.) across multiple features and projects
- Build prototypes and present designs and concepts to cross-functional partners and stakeholders
- Clearly articulate design decisions to various internal stakeholders
- Provide implementation guidance to engineers and ensure features launch at the highest quality bar
- Stay on top of industry trends and emerging SW and HW technologies
- Experience designing for hardware products (TV, smart displays, etc.) and new interaction models
- 6+ years of industry experience as a Product or Interaction Designer
- A portfolio featuring examples of HW products you've worked on, UI interaction, 3D, motion, visual and prototyping work
- Experience designing and leading in cross-functional technical environments
- Experience working with research and data to drive decision making
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top