Product Designer, Location Platform - Maps
- New York, NY
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Location Platform builds experiences to bring people closer together while helping them navigate and explore the world, safely and confidently. We do this by building best-in-class exemplars, defining the guidelines and principles around responsible location data usage, and serve as subject-matter experts for teams building their own location-powered products across the FB Family of Apps. Most recently, we joined the AR/VR organization and are defining how to bring these experiences to new contexts, whether it's on-the-go, at home, or in a virtual world.We are looking for a designer to help us define the future of all map-based experiences across the Family of Apps. We want to harness all the information unique to Facebook, and help people explore the world around them in a socially-powered way.
- Help lead the vision and strategic plan for the cartography roadmap.
- Define and extend the map's design language across the Facebook family of apps, in partnership with multiple brand and design system teams.
- Work closely with a team of cartographers to ensure our vector tiles represent a high level of quality and craft, in both data and design.
- Develop internal tools to facilitate design and engineering teams to prototype quickly with maps.
- Document and share best practices, tips, and success stories to educate and inspire teams creating innovative mapping visualizations.
- Collaborate with key partner teams to build flagship maps-first products.
- Execute in a fast-paced and highly fluid environment.
- Examples of shipped products where maps play a key part of the experience.
- Examples developing a cartographic design language including color palettes, zoom guidelines, pin systems, and more.
- Familiarity with international cartographic conventions.
- Proficiency with GIS software and sources of cartographic information.
- Experience working with a variety of spatial datasets & vector maps.
- Experience with basic level programming.
- Experience teaching other designers.
Back to top