Product Design Engineer
The mission of the Oculus Product Design Engineering team is to develop and launch world-class hardware that enables next-generation VR experiences. We work closely with a wide array of creative, technical and operations partners as we push the boundaries of what is possible.
As a Product Design Engineer at Oculus, you will take a critical role in bringing VR to our customers. You will develop structures, mechanisms, and solutions for next-generation consumer virtual reality hardware. As a member of our team, you will take the lead exploring and refining major elements of the consumer Rift through hands-on, iterative prototyping, while working with a team of diverse, top engineers. You will refine selected designs and coordinate with manufacturing experts during the production process. We are looking for someone with a productive mindset who can apply their mechanical engineering expertise to solve problems in creative, insightful ways. Our ideal candidate has strong a mechanical background, excellent prototyping skills, expert 3D CAD capability, and experience in designing and manufacturing consumer technology products.
- Design and develop new Oculus hardware products.
- Lead small to large teams of engineers to deliver project goals with an emphasis on quality, innovation and collaboration.
- Own engineering activities for a major assembly or entire product throughout the entire product lifecycle, from definition and creation, through design, production, and next-gen improvements.
- Implement sound engineering processes and systematic approaches, while solving diverse design and manufacturing challenges.
- Serve as a resident expert in design engineering and design for manufacture processes.
- Contribute to the creation of technical specifications and product definition.
- Engineer parts and mechanisms that retain design intent and function according to specs.
- Test and evaluate design components for manufacturability and structural integrity.
- Coordinate with manufacturing experts to optimize part design and production processes, including assembly line set-up. Support production throughout the manufacturing process to realize your designs.
- Collaborate with designers and other engineering disciplines to identify challenges and offer solutions.
- A desire to mentor others, lead by example, and elevate the engineering excellence of your team.
- BS or higher in Mechanical Engineering
- 8+ years of experience in the mechanical engineering of mass-produced consumer electronics
- 8+ years of experience in 3D modeling in SolidWorks, ProE or NX
- Knowledge in mechanical design fundamentals for a variety of manufacturing methods (injection molding, stamping, casting, MIM, machining, etc.)
- 3+ years experience leading engineering teams
- Design analysis (FEA/Simulation experience)
- Manufacturing experience and proven record of shipping quality products
- Experience working with China-based vendors remotely and in-person, including a variety of engineering engagement models (CM, JDM and ODM)
- Experience building parts and assembling prototypes in the shop
- History of shipping products in a new product category
- Mandarin and/or Cantonese language skills
- Experience with optical systems, depth sensors, image sensors
- Experience with human factors, wearable technologies and technical soft goods
- Experience designing products with complex thermal systems
Back to top