Product Design Architect (Oculus)
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
The mission of the Oculus Product Design Engineering team is to develop and launch world-class hardware that enables next-generation VR experiences. We work closely with a wide array of creative, technical and operations partners as we push the boundaries of what is possible.As Product Design Architect you will be responsible for defining the physical product architecture for our next generation devices. This effort will involve identifying and vetting both new and existing engineering solutions to address our market's experience-driven problems. Your extensive experience with bringing a wide-variety of consumer electronics products to market will have prepared you to anticipate and address a broad-spectrum of product design challenges such as thermal, structural, manufacturability, and reliability. Extensive cross-functional collaboration and excellent documentation and communication skills will be required to deliver production-development ready architectures.
- Define the physical product architecture and influence future VR/AR/MR products by providing mechanical engineering insight and expertise into the product roadmap.
- Partner and work closely with Industrial Design to incubate, develop, prototype and evangelize next generation mechanical designs that meet marketing and customer requirements.
- Collaborate with Oculus Research and Core-Technology teams to identify new technologies and develop proof of concepts to ensure readiness for implementation.
- Collaborate with CM/JDM/ODM and technology partners to solve design and manufacturing-related issues.
- Take responsibility for gathering and understanding marketing and customer requirements in conjunction with Product Management, Marketing, and Content teams.
- Identify and generate IP to protect innovation.
- BS or higher in Mechanical Engineering
- 6+ years of experience in the mechanical engineering of mass-produced consumer electronics
- 6+ years of experience in 3D modeling in Unigraphics NX, SolidWorks or ProEngineer
- 3+ years of experience defining and driving product architectures for electronic devices
- Experience with every stage of the product development process
- Experience in mechanical fundamentals, tolerance analysis, Root Cause Analysis, DFM/DFA and DFMEA
- Background in designing parts and assemblies adhering to cosmetic requirements
- Experience designing stamped, CNC, MIM and plastic injection molded parts
- Understanding of human factors, safety and regulatory, and electrical engineering concerns
- Background driving China-based vendors remotely and in-person, including a variety of engineering engagement models (CM, JDM and ODM).
- 5+ years' experience design and shipping wearable electronics
- Experience with optical systems, mechanism design, or design analysis (FEA)
- Mandarin and/or Cantonese language skills
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top