Pre-Construction Planning Manager
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Our data centers are the foundation upon which our software operates with efficient ease. Building and operating data centers the "right" way from the day we break ground and go live is synonymous with ensuring capacity availability and capital conservatism. Designing, constructing, operating and continually, innovating the infrastructure within our data centers are fundamental to providing high availability, the capacity to meet our extreme growth demands and obtaining the most robust and cost-effective online service in the world!
Facebook is seeking a seasoned professional to join our team as a Pre-Construction Planning Manager. The Pre-Construction Planning Manager will be experienced in directing and overseeing an organization's strategic and long-range construction planning function with a strong focus on leadership and operational excellence. This will be done by leading and providing scope definition to projects, presenting cost and schedule guidance to internal site selection, design, sourcing/procurement and construction teams for a variety of greenfield and retrofit construction projects. Also, this role will work closely with our external partners (general contractors, key MEP subcontractors, and vendors) to help develop their organization's strategic and long-range goal planning functions related to FB future projects. Finally, we expect this role will also create industry-leading vision and strategy to help scale our construction operations along with assisting in developing management talent.
This position is full-time and located in our Menlo Park Headquarters. However, the project locations will be spread across North America and the world. Managing stakeholders found across all regions and time zones is a significant challenge and is key to the success of our projects.
- Directs and oversees an organization's strategic and long-range goal planning function.
- Development of construction planning at an international, national, regional or local level including strategies which take account of transport, the local economy, workforce and economic environment.
- Drives strategic initiatives, and supports the development of long-term growth plans and delivery goals.
- Analyzes and recommends emerging industry trends, expansion opportunities, including mergers and acquisitions, competitive threats, the viability of outside business partners, internal business performance and business process improvement.
- Provide leadership to understand, collaborate, and influence across the organizations that connect with the Infrastructure team.
- Manage multiple simultaneous data center and technology construction pre-construction development projects from inception through hand over to the construction teams.
- Manage ambiguity of project parameters and changing project limitations.
- Coordinate a complicated sequence of work activities and keep everything going according to plan.
- Coordinate multiple stakeholder requirements to develop and define the program requirements.
- Interface with a wide variety of internal and external teams to develop a program planning and delivery strategy.
- Develop and ensure internal processes are followed and align expectations early on delivery timelines.
- Work in conjunction with the team's Subject Matter Experts (SME's) to understand the cost, quality and schedule impacts of new designs, materials and construction methods.
- Strategic planning including detailed build requirements, project coordination, and scheduling, suggested contractor profile selection and procurement.
- 30%, domestic and international travel.
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or equivalent technical degree and/or 15+ years direct work experience in project planning and construction management.
- Pre-Construction (programming, scheduling, and cost estimating) experience managing multi-group, multi-disciplinary development projects, data centers, or similar technical construction projects.
- Experience with the design and deployment of technical electrical and mechanical systems.
- Experience in vendor management and negotiations.
- Experience with a variety of construction contract delivery methods including design/build, management contracting and traditional approaches.
- Experience managing contractors, subcontractor and vendor relationships with knowledge of standard practices in the design and construction industry.
- Experience with greenfield site development, ground-up and retrofit construction.
- Leadership and coordination experience leading a team towards a single project outcome.
- Experience working with local, state, domestic and international construction build codes and health & safety requirements.
- Communications/reporting experience.
- Problem-solving experience and track record of thinking strategically and executing tactically.
- Experience with Primavera P6, MS Project, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top