Our data centers are the foundation upon which our software operates with efficient ease. Building and operating data centers the "right" way from the day they go live is synonymous with ensuring capacity availability and capital conservatism. Designing, constructing, operating and continually innovating the telecommunications and structured cabling infrastructure within our data centers is fundamental to ensuring high availability, the capacity to meet our extreme growth demands and obtaining the most robust and cost effective online service in the world! Facebook is seeking a Pre-Construction Engineer to join our Data Center Construction Team. The Pre-Construction Engineer must be experienced in providing scope definition to projects, presenting cost and schedule guidance to internal site selection, design and construction teams for a variety of greenfield technology construction projects. The successful candidate will provide a technical perspective along with operational guidance to the partner teams throughout the capital planning process and will assist the Pre-Construction and Construction team in successfully launching new projects. The responsibilities of this role include coordinating and prioritizing a wide range of projects and processes within the site as well as communicating issues and successes with respective operations groups. The role also includes providing a detailed handover plan to our Pre-construction managers to ensure a smooth transition and ability to be successful on the project. This position is full-time and located in our Fremont, CA office. However, the project locations will be spread across North America. Managing stakeholders located across all regions and time zones is a significant challenge and is key to the success of our projects.
PRE-CONSTRUCTION ENGINEER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the business by providing cost and schedule for data center development as a technical expert in pre-construction, logistics and construction planning.
- Manage ambiguous project parameters and changing project limitations.
- Coordinate multiple stakeholder requirements to develop and define the project scope requirements.
- Presenting budget and schedule options and approvals to the Data Center Leadership team.
- Interface with construction managers, technical program managers, cost estimators, and capacity planning teams to produce project requirements.
- Ensure internal processes are followed and align expectations early on delivery timelines.
- Develop preliminary schedules and cost estimates with high level resource planning and stakeholder coordination.
- Lead regular status updates meetings to share current status with others: keep management well informed of changes to the project timeline as it develops.
- Work in conjunction with the team Subject Matter Expert (SME) to understand the cost, quality and schedule impacts of new designs, materials and construction methods.
- Strategic planning including detailed build requirements, project coordination and scheduling, suggested contractor profile selection and procurement.
- Considerable (30%) travel within North America.
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or equivalent technical degree and/or 5+ years direct professional experience in project planning and construction management.
- Pre-Construction (programming, scheduling and cost estimating) experience managing multi-group, multi-disciplinary development projects, data centers, satellite ground station construction or similar technical construction projects.
- Experience with design and deployment of technical electrical and mechanical systems.
- Experience with a variety of contract structures including design build, management contracting and traditional approaches.
- Experience managing vendor relationships and understanding of standard practices in the design and construction industry, including knowledge of fast-track design-build process and associated documents and contracts.
- Experience with ground-up construction and greenfield site development requirements.
- Experience leading a team towards a single project outcome.
- Experience working with local, state, domestic and international construction build codes and health & safety requirements.
- Experience with reporting and various forms of communication.
- Experience Primavera P6, MS Project, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com .
Back to top