(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Our data centers are the foundation upon which our software operates with efficient ease. Building and operating data centers the "right" way from the day they go live is synonymous with ensuring capacity availability and capital conservatism. Designing, constructing, operating and continually innovating the telecommunications and structured cabling infrastructure within our data centers is fundamental to ensuring high availability, the capacity to meet our extreme growth demands and obtaining the most robust and cost effective online service in the world! Facebook is seeking a Pre-Construction Engineer to join our Data Center Construction Team. The Pre-Construction Engineer must be experienced in providing scope definition to infrastructure projects, presenting cost and schedule guidance to internal site selection, design and construction teams for a variety of greenfield technology construction projects.The successful candidate will provide a technical perspective along with operational guidance to the partner team throughout the site selection process and will assist the Pre-Construction Manager and New Build Construction team in successfully launching new projects. The responsibilities of this role include coordinating and prioritizing a wide range of projects as well as communicating issues and successes with respective operations groups. The role also includes assisting with the development of detailed handover plan to our onsite construction managers to ensure a smooth transition.This position is full-time and located in our Menlo Park Headquarters. However, the project locations will be spread across North America and EMEA. Managing stakeholders located across all regions and time zones is a significant challenge and is key to the success of our projects.
- Assist pre-construction manager to oversee multiple simultaneous data center and technology pre-construction development projects from inception through hand over to the on-site construction teams.
- Manage ambiguity of project parameters and changing project limitations.
- Coordinate multiple stakeholder requirements to develop and define the project scope requirements.
- Design management of Basis of Design development from inception through completion and managing scope change effects.
- Presenting budget and schedule options and approvals to senior management.
- Attend meetings with General Contractor and Design Team to track project issues and report to internal teams.
- Attend subcontractor interviews and review scope of work with General Contractor.
- Interface with pre-construction managers, technical program managers, cost estimators, and capacity planning teams to produce project requirements.
- Ensure internal processes are followed and align expectations early on delivery timelines.
- Develop preliminary schedules and cost estimates with high level resource planning and stakeholder coordination.
- Lead regular status updates meetings to share current status with others: keep management well informed of changes to the project timeline as it develops.
- Work in conjunction with the team's Subject Matter Experts (SME's) to understand the cost, quality and schedule impacts of new designs, materials and construction methods.
- Strategic planning including detailed build requirements, project coordination and scheduling, suggested contractor profile selection and procurement.
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or equivalent technical degree and 3+ years direct professional experience in project planning and construction management.
- Pre-Construction (programming, scheduling and cost estimating) experience managing multi-group, multi-disciplinary development projects, data centers, satellite ground station construction or similar technical construction projects.
- Knowledge in design and deployment of technical electrical and mechanical systems.
- Experience with a variety of contract structures including design build, progressive guaranteed maximum price and traditional approaches.
- Experience managing vendor relationships and understanding of standard practices in the design and construction industry, including knowledge of fast-track design-build process and associated documents and contracts
- Experience with ground-up construction and greenfield site development requirements.
- Coordination skills to lead a team of diverse backgrounds and experience towards a single project outcome.
- Experience working with local, state, domestic and international construction build codes and health & safety requirements.
- Communication and reporting skills.
- Experience in Primavera P6, MS Project, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Considerable (30%) travel within North America and occasional travel to EMEA.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top