Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Vision Science and Physiological Optics
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
Perception is at the center of our research, as it informs our work in displays, optics, rendering, and practically everything else. As a Postdoctoral Research Scientist in the Perceptual Science team at Oculus Research in Redmond WA, you’ll be tackling the scientific challenges that define cutting-edge virtual and augmented reality, addressing heretofore-unanswered questions in vision science, displays, and perceptual psychology. This involves both applied and basic science, as they inform our research directions and identify opportunities for revolutionary experiences. We’re committed to a whole-system, multidisciplinary approach to perceptual research, and both collaborate with academic institutions and publish in peer-reviewed journals. Projects take advantage of internal resources in mechanical, electrical, optical, and software engineering, allowing us to confront scientific questions which cannot be addressed with existing equipment. The position is a fixed-term (postdoctoral) contract for 24 months and requires a PhD in vision science, perceptual psychology, bioengineering, or related field.
- Research into perception and human factors, both in terms of basic science and how it informs other research and product directions.
- Collaborate with both internal teams and academia in research to explore perceptual factors, define limits and specifications, and discover opportunities for revolutionary improvement in virtual and augmented reality displays and systems.
- Explore opportunities and requirements to create new virtual experiences and perform research necessary to deliver them.
- Collaborate with other researchers, interns, and engineers to identify and develop experimental systems which allow us to answer novel research questions, involving factors both in isolation and as part of an ecologically valid complete system.
- PhD and/or postdoctoral assignment in vision science, bioengineering, or related field
- Graduating with a PhD, or completing a university postdoctoral assignment by summer 2017
- Understanding of human sensory system(s) and ability to apply this knowledge to develop predictive computational models of perceptual and behavioral responses
- Experience in key areas such as vergence/accommodation, color and luminance, signal/image processing, physiological optics, eye movements valued
- 3+ years with experimental methodology, psychophysics, and/or related statistical analysis
- Interpersonal skills with cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- 3+ years with user studies (psychophysics) and human factors
- 3+ years with the design or analysis of optical and/or stereoscopic display systems
- Innovative problem solver and results oriented.
- Record of achieving significant results, including first-authored journal publications
- Demonstrated experience via an internship, work experience, or widely used contributions to open source projects
- Prior experience with MATLAB, R, Python, and/or C++
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top