Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Perceptual Human Factors (PhD University Grad)
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
We are seeking an individual with a background in human factors, perceptual systems, and how device design impacts the users experience (comfort, quality and enjoyment). As a Human Factors Post-doctoral Researcher at Oculus Research in Redmond WA, you will help device research and incubation teams uncover the limits of human perception and what their implications are for future AR & VR. We are looking for an individual who has a proven record of accomplishment in human factors research through first-authored publications, industry internships and/or educational background to join our research team to help support incubation and devices engineering. A passion for device design and user centered hardware design is a key.
As a Post-doctoral Research Scientist, you will be mentored by one of our Perception Research Scientists specifically in applied research and the perceptual science required to provide device engineering teams with data to understand the human side of human centered device design.
- Derive novel experimental approaches to the measurement and assessment of human perceptual performance, comfort, and use these methods to derive specifications based on objective and subjective measurements of the user experience
- Collaborate with internal research teams (perception science, optics, graphics and engineering) to explore the human factors that relate to user comfort.
- Understand how differences in demographics and user populations alter design changes
- Engage with perceptual science, device engineering and design to communicate and evangelize the findings of experiments
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a M.A./M.Sc. or Ph.D. in human factors, industrial engineering (emphasis on human factors), experimental psychology, vision science or related field.
- Background in perceptual human factors, measuring perceptual processes, and psychophysical approaches to experimental design
- Illustrated understanding of the human visual system, including the ability to apply this model to novel situations and predict how the eye, brain, and body will respond through coursework, first authored publications and/or presentations at international conferences
- Illustrated experience in HMD device design, as evidenced through first authored publications, presentations and/or previous industry placements through internships or work placements
- Academic background in running human participants
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Must be available to start employment on or after June 15, 2017
- Able to obtain work authorization in the US beginning in 2017
- Ph.D. from an HFES accredited Human Factors Psychology program, industrial engineering, experimental psychology, vision science or related field.
- Specialization in key areas of perceptual comfort such as binocular vision, spatial vision, attention, visual processes
- Experience with experimental methodology, specifically psychophysics and measurement of human performance
- Prior experience with Matlab, Lua, R, and/or Python
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top