Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Haptic Sciences (PhD Student or Grad)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
At Facebook Reality Labs, our goal is to explore, innovate and design novel haptics interfaces and hardware subsystems for the next generation of virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences. We are looking for a talented Postdoctoral Researcher Scientist with expertise and passion for building and evaluating wearable haptic feedback technologies aimed to communicate innate sensory information through the skin.
As a Postdoctoral Research Scientist in the Haptics Displays team at Facebook Reality Lab in Redmond WA, you'll be working closely with engineers, designers, and perception and software scientists to devise new actuation schemes for haptic feedback, define perceptual rules to characterize human perception and improve on the design of haptic hardware and software subsystems, and implement user experiences to highlight added value for haptic feedback technologies. The position is a fixed-term (postdoctoral) contract for 24 months. Our research involves fundamental understanding of engineering and human perception, as well as evaluations of how specific engineering-perceptual choices impact the user experience. Researchers are also expected to have a strong publication record in peer-reviewed conferences and journals.
Projects take advantage of internal resources in mechanical, electrical, optical, and software engineering, allowing us to confront scientific questions which cannot be addressed with existing equipment.
- Research in the field of haptics sciences, identify and articulate research problems and how it informs to other research and product directions
- Collaborate with researchers, engineers, and designers across disciplines (HCI, SWE, EE, ME) to solve complex problems and evaluate the effectiveness of developed solutions through user evaluations
- Explore opportunities and requirements to create new digital experiences and perform research necessary to deliver them
- Publish and present papers at top-tier conferences and journals in haptics, perception, engineering, human-computer interaction, and related fields
- Mentor and supervise PhD interns
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a PhD degree or completing a postdoctoral assignment in the field of Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Electrical Engineering, Bioengineering, or related field
- Must be available to start employment on or after February 1, 2019
- 3+ years haptics research experience with developing haptic products and platforms
- Demonstrated knowledge of haptic perception, experimental design and psychophysical methods
- Demonstrated knowledge of the variety of actuators, e.g. electromechanical, piezoelectric and/or others
- Demonstrated rapid prototyping experience in hardware, software and embedded systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering fundamentals for instrumentation and controls
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as first-authored publications at leading workshops or conferences such as relevant World Haptics, Haptic Symposium, Transactions on Haptics, or similar
- Experience with MATLAB, Python, and/or C++
- Strong statistical analysis skills
- Strong electrical and software prototyping skills in developing haptic devices
- Demonstrated exploration of use cases for haptic technologies
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Yumeng T.Research Scientist
Yumeng spends her days working with machine learning models for search products and completing product-level coding projects.
Back to top