Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Digital Anthropology (PhD University Grad)
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
Understanding our users and their culture, desires, and pain points is crucial part of our mission of creating the future of VR and AR technology. As a Postdoctoral Research Scientist in the AR interaction team at Oculus Research in Redmond WA, you'll be tackling the most exciting challenges of informing the direction of augmented reality's future with the design insights driven by human social and cultural behaviors. The projects will take advantage of collaborating with cross-organizational teams at various parts of Oculus and Facebook as well as academic institutions. The position is a fixed-term (postdoctoral) contract for 24 months and requires a PhD in cultural anthropology, human-centered design, social psychology, sociology, or related field.
- Research social and cultural behaviors of technology users and extract design insights for next generation VR and AR products
- Evangelize user voices to the rest of the research and engineering teams
- Work with UX researchers and designers to generate user profiles and personas based on ethnographic research
- Collaborate with UX researchers, perceptual scientists, designers, product managers, and HW/SW engineers
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a PhD degree or completing a postdoctoral assignment in the field of cultural anthropology, human-centered design, social psychology, sociology, or related field
- Must be available to start employment on or after fall 2017
- 2+ years experience with human social behaviors and developing behavioral frameworks
- 2+ years experience with qualitative research including ethnographic observation, in-depth interviews, contextual inquiry, and other related methods
- Interpersonal skills: cross-group collaboration
- Able to obtain work authorization in the US for a two-year period beginning in 2017
- 3+ years experience with MAXQDA, Noldus Observer, or other qualitative data analysis tools
- 3+ years experience with planning and executing empirical user research
- 3+ years experience with ethnographic research in the topics of human technology behaviors with a focus on emerging technologies and media
- Track record of generating research insights from ethnographic research in the product context via internships and/or projects
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by first-authored conference publications or journal articles at major ACM SIGCHI conferences or EPIC conference.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top