Postdoctoral Research Scientist, 3D Cameras and Sensors (PhD)
- Woodinville, WA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook Reality Labs is helping more people around the world come together and connect through world-class AR/VR hardware and software. With global departments dedicated to AR/VR research, computer vision, haptics, social interaction, and more, Facebook is committed to driving the state-of-the-art forward through relentless innovation. AR/VR's potential to change the world is immense-and we're just getting started.
On our 3D cameras and sensors tam, you will work with a world-class group of researchers, engineers, and management developing the next generation of sensor and depth sensing technologies to drive industry-leading augmented reality systems. We are currently seeking innovative researchers and engineers with a passion for inter-disciplinary problem solving and technology development. This role will design, model, prototype, and validate novel depth system architectures intended to exceed the state-of-the-art for next generation consumer AR/VR applications.
This role will focus primarily on building, validating, and leveraging quantitative theoretical and empirical models that accurately describe a wide range of existing and advanced 3D sensing systems and technologies. The role will be expected to deliver quantitative analyses that drive critical technical decision making with wide product impact to system architecture, product technology assessments and selections, and technology roadmap definition; analyses will define key requirements for illumination and camera modules, optimization of associated computer vision algorithms, and estimation of depth quality and key performance indicators under expected operation scenarios.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team of computer vision, software, and hardware experts to deliver best-in-class 3D camera and sensing technologies
- Own the quantitative modeling, validation, and analysis of our existing and future portfolio of 3D sensing systems
- Model the optical performance of depth systems end-to-end to drive critical technical tradeoffs on research and product roadmaps
- Communicate and present results at cross-functional meetings and via well documented reports
- Maintain engaged and well informed on emerging academic and industry trends
- Demonstrate benefits of novel research technologies through proof of concept hardware prototyping and quantitative modeling
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD degree in Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Optics, Electrical Engineering, or a related technical field.
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment.
- 2+ years' experience working with hardware systems such as cameras, sensors, imaging devices, etc.
- 2+ years' experience writing code in Python, C++, C#, or similar.
- Demonstrated understanding of probability theory, statistical analysis, and error propagation.
- Demonstrated experience working with computer vision algorithms.
- Demonstrated experience preparing reports and presenting results to cross-functional technical teams and executives.
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration.
- Demonstrated experience in defining a complex research proposal in the photonics space.
- Experience working with prototype imaging systems and/or depth cameras.
- 2+ years' experience with imaging processing and/or working with 3D point cloud data.
- 2+ years' experience modeling 3D depth system performance.
- Demonstrated understanding of basic camera and sensor technologies (radiometry, laser illumination, camera calibration concepts, sensor properties, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience via an internship, work/research experience, or widely used contributions to open source project.
- Track record of publications with cutting edge research results at conferences and journals.
Back to top