Performance Systems Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is accessed from an increasing number of mobile devices with extremely different performance characteristics. Despite a general trend towards faster devices over time, hardware improvements alone cannot be relied upon to improve the performance of our apps. Efficient use of device resources is key and scaling that to the wide variety of mobile devices is challenging. The Infrastructure and Interfaces team owns performance of the core Facebook iOS and Android app. We have deep knowledge of mobile OS platforms and are experts at efficient use of device resources to enable our app to run in resource constrained environments. We own high-visibility performance metrics such as app cold start, install size, disk footprint, memory footprint, battery utilization, and more. These have a large and direct impact on over 2 billion Facebook users and is key to enabling the next billion people to access Facebook. Our team is growing and we are looking for performance-minded engineers, who are passionate about building performant apps. The ideal candidate is comfortable digging into complex systems, identifying optimizations, and working with different feature teams to develop solutions. You will influence the development of performance tools for investigation, regression tracking, and metrics reporting and own performance optimization efforts. These solutions often span multiple layers of the app and require creative, unconventional thinking. As part of a world-class engineering team, you will apply performance best-practices from across the industry to a popular mobile platform.
- Build world-class telemetry infrastructure
- Automate performance measurement and analysis
- Optimize CPU, memory, disk, and battery usage in the Facebook app
- Develop high-performance developer frameworks
- Own high-visibility performance metrics
- Mentor engineers on performance best practices
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science, Electronics, Electrical, or related field
- 5+ years of industry experience shipping production software
- Experience building client software for resource constrained devices
- Understanding of systems architecture and performance tradeoffs
- Experience in any of C/C++, Objective C, Java, C# programming languages
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top