Performance and Capacity Engineer, Research Intern
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Research Intern to join the Capacity Engineering & Analysis team to focus on site-wide performance and capacity projects. This person would be required to cross-functionally work with a number of teams to ensure optimal operation and growth of our computing resources from both a cost and technology perspective. This position is based at our Menlo Park office.
- Perform research to help scale the largest web capacity in the world: Work with Product Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, and Data Engineering team to find the optimal way to scale the infrastructure. Tens of billions of user requests, hundreds of peta bytes of data, thousands of giga bps of network flow.
- Perform research and make recommendations aimed at tackling state-of-the-art hardware and software performance issues (e.g., optimize product/service performance, reduce resource consumption and shorten request latency, etc.)
- Provide deepest visibility to what is going on for all products: Run capacity and performance experiments to determine scaling and utilization parameters for various service tiers
- Find the game changers and bring them on: Work with financial analysts, operations and engineering to perform cutting-edge technologies investigation and cost analysis
- Pursuing an MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or related field (PhD preferred)
- Publications or experience in computer architecture, operating systems, data center technologies, performance analysis, workload characterization, or related field
- Experience in utilizing theoretical and empirical research to solve problems
- Ability to communicate complex research in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- Coding and scripting proficiency
- Must have school to return to after completion of internship
- Ability to obtain and maintain work authorization in the United States in 2018
- PhD degree preferred in one of the areas listed above
- Experience with databases or hadoop
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top