Performance and Capacity Engineer, Intern
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Performance and Capacity Engineer Intern to join the Capacity Engineering & Analysis team to focus on future performance and capacity scaling problems. This person would be required to cross-functionally work with a number of teams to ensure efficient operation and growth of our computing resources from both a cost and technology perspective.
- Explore and develop novel solutions to scale the largest web capacity in the world: Work with Services, Product, Data, and Infrastructure teams to scale the data center infrastructure including tens of billions of user requests, hundreds of petabytes of data, and thousands of giga bps of network flow.
- Own end-to-end product design, launch, and operation: Support architecture design, define networking requirement, and help build systems from scratch to support new product launches.
- Tackle the state-of-the-art hardware performance issues: Analyze and debug difficult server performance issues (latest in industry), identify bottlenecks, and optimize product/service performance to improve user experience.
- Solve the hardest software performance issues: Work with software developers closely to improve code base performance (e.g. algorithm redesign), reduce resource consumption, and shorten request latency.
- Plan the largest server and datacenter capacity: Own and drive overall Facebook capacity planning work for all different products/services and recommend DC expansion plans.
- Develop the coolest tools to monitor billions of user requests: Write monitoring, reporting, and data aggregation tools to do performance and capacity-related load test to track, report, and analyze regressions.
- Provide deepest visibility to Facebook products and services: Run capacity and performance experiments to determine scaling and utilization parameters for various service tiers.
- Streamline the hardware adoption process for the latest OCP hardware through conducting application tests for all major Facebook services.
- A lot of other cool work: Identify capacity-related issues proactively and work with Systems, Network, Application Operations, and Engineering teams to discover resolutions.
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or other technical field.
- Experience in coding and scripting languages such as C, C++, C #, Java, PHP, React, Python or Perl.
- Database experience.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Must obtain work authorization in the country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment.
- MySQL experience.
- Experience working in large-scale computing infrastructures.
- Experience working cross-functionally with a number of teams.
- Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship/co-op.
Back to top