Performance and Capacity Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a software engineer to join the Capacity Engineering & Analysis team to focus on site-wide performance and capacity projects. This person would be required to work cross-functionally with a number of teams to ensure optimal operation and growth of our computing resources from both a cost and technology perspective. Tens of billions of user requests, hundreds of peta bytes of data, thousands of giga bps of network flow. Help build one of the largest Internet services in the world! This position is full-time and based at our London, UK office.
- Scale the largest web capacity in the world
- Work with Product Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, and Data Engineering teams to find the optimal way to scale the infrastructure. Own end-to-end product design, launch, and operation: Support architecture design, define networking requirement, and help code build from scratch to support new product launch.
- Tackle the state-of-the-art hardware performance issues: Analyze and debug difficult server performance issues (latest in industry), identify bottlenecks and optimize product/service performance to improve user experience.
- Solve hardest software performance issues: Work with software developers closely to improve code base performance (e.g. algorithm redesign), reduce resource consumption and shorten request latency. Plan the largest server and datacenter capacity: Own and drive overall Facebook capacity planning work for all different products/services and recommend DC expansion plan.
- Develop coolest tools to monitor billions of user requests: Write monitoring, reporting, data-mining tools to do performance and capacity-related tests and analysis. Provide deepest visibility to what is going on for all products: Run capacity and performance experiments to determine scaling and utilization parameters for various service tiers.
- Own company server budget and track it: Present performance and capacity roadmap for critical project and cost analyses in presentation form monthly to executive teams. Find the game changers and bring them on: Work with financial analysts, operations and engineering to perform cutting-edge technologies investigation and cost analysis.
- A lot of other cool work: Identify capacity-related issues proactively and work with systems, network, application operations and engineering teams to discover resolutions.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or other technical field.
- Experience in performance engineering or capacity engineering.
- Experience in coding & scripting languages such as C, C++, C #, Java, PHP, Python or Perl.
- Database experience.
- Analytical, budgeting and planning skills.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or other technical field.
- Experience in MySQL.
- Experience with Hadoop.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top