Perceptual Research Scientist (Oculus)
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
Perception is at the center of our research, as it informs our work in displays, optics, rendering, and practically every other area. As a Perceptual Research Scientist at Oculus Research in Redmond WA, you’ll be tackling the scientific challenges that define cutting-edge virtual and augmented reality, addressing heretofore-unanswered questions in vision science, displays, and perceptual psychology. This involves both applied and basic science, as they inform our research directions and identify opportunities for revolutionary experiences. We’re committed to a whole-system, multidisciplinary approach to perceptual research, and both collaborate with academic institutions and publish in peer-reviewed journals. Projects take advantage of internal resources in mechanical, electrical, optical, and software engineering, allowing us to confront scientific questions which cannot be addressed with existing equipment.
- Research into perception and human factors, both in terms of basic science and how it informs other research and product directions
- Collaborate with both internal teams and academia in research to explore perceptual factors, define limits and specifications, and discover opportunities for revolutionary improvement in virtual and augmented reality displays and systems.
- Explore opportunities and requirements to create new virtual experiences and perform research necessary to deliver these.
- Collaborate with other researchers and engineers to identify and develop experimental systems which allow us to answer novel research questions, performing research of factors both in isolation and as part of an ecologically valid complete system.
- PhD and/or postdoctoral assignment in vision science, perceptual psychology, bioengineering, or related field
- Understanding of the human visual system, including the ability to apply this model to novel situations and predict how the eye, brain, and body will respond
- Specialization in key areas such as stereopsis, vergence/accommodation, color and luminance, signal/image processing, ophthalmic optics, eye movements, and physical/neurological perceptual factors valued
- Experience with experimental methodology, psychophysics, and/or related statistical analysis
- Proven track record of achieving significant research results
- Interpersonal skills – cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Able to obtain work authorization in the US beginning in 2016
- Experience with user studies and human factors
- Experience with the design or analysis of optical and/or stereoscopic display systems
- Prior experience with MATLAB, R, Python, and/or C++
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top