People Research Scientist, People Analytics
(Menlo Park, CA - New York, NY)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
At Facebook we pride ourselves on making data-informed decisions. This includes not only decisions we make about our platform, which serves over 1 billion users, but also how we learn more about our most valuable asset – our people. For instance, we use data to understand how to hire top talent, to ensure our people are engaged, and to support diversity.
We're looking for an experienced people research scientist-practitioner to join our people analytics function. Our team uncovers data-driven insights to better attract, develop, motivate, and retain Facebook's most important asset – our people. This role will serve as an active partner with HR and functional leaders to perform research and analyses on a broad spectrum of people issues: to optimize employee attraction and selection, performance, growth, engagement, diversity, compensation, and retention. You'll also help develop and refine people processes to make an exceptional workplace even better. The ideal candidate will have strong quantitative skills and experience working across a variety of people areas.
This is a full-time role based in Menlo Park, CA, or New York, NY.
- Apply your expertise in people research, quantitative analysis, and data visualization to help Facebook recruit, select, grow, and retain talent
- See beyond the data to identify solutions that will raise the bar for all things people-related
- Collaborate with data engineering and visualization engineers to access and manipulate data, explain data gathering requirements, and display results
- Partner with the HR, recruiting and diversity teams on people projects to identify and clarify critical people issues, deeply understand our people processes, and analyze data to drive improvements
- Bring together Facebook-specific data and outside research to help leaders understand people issues
- Communicate statistical analyses and results, along with implications, to technical and non-technical audiences
- Collaborate effectively with the Employment Law team on a variety of sensitive projects
- Collaborate effectively with and mentor other team members
- Demonstrate exceptional judgment and discretion when dealing with highly sensitive people data
- MS/PhD in a field emphasizing people research in organizations (e.g., Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Organizational Behavior, Economics, Management, etc.)
- 3+ years of experience conducting quantitative people research in an organization or consulting environment, including working with key stakeholders to understand and clarify their people research needs, and communicating analyses to technical and non-technical audiences.
- 3+ years of experience applying multivariate statistical methods such as GLM, analysis of quasi-experimental research designs with non-equivalent groups (e.g., regression adjustment, matching, propensity score stratification), longitudinal analysis, classification, dimension reduction, clustering, hierarchical linear (random effects) modeling, etc., to people research problems in organizations
- Experience managing and analyzing structured and unstructured data using tools such as R or Python
- 2+ years of experience with machine learning, text mining or modeling high-dimensional data
- 3+ years working internally (as opposed to consulting) in an organization with 500+ professional employees (e.g., high-tech, financial services, healthcare, biotech, etc.)
- Experience developing tools, conducting empirical research, practical implementation, knowledge of best practices in at least three of the following areas: employee selection, employee engagement, performance management, diversity, or retention.
- Experience conceiving, developing, running pilot tests, implementing, and continuously improving large-scale people processes
- Experienced in survey design
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top