Partner Engineer, Shared Backhaul
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Attempting to connect the world requires an alternative approach to building and deploying telecom network infrastructure. Through organizations like Telecom Infra Project (www.telecominfraproject.com (http://www.telecominfraproject.com/)) and through direct engagement with individual operators around the world, the team collaborates globally with the telecom industry to identify and execute a range of connectivity programs. If you have passion for working with operators, ISPs and other industry stakeholders to drive innovative, cutting edge, cost efficient wireless and networking infrastructure projects that will deliver internet access to the un-connected while significantly scaling current networks – then this is a great role for you.As a Partner Engineer focused on shared backhaul, you will work closely with a broad Facebook cross-functional team to engage partners in the area of backhaul infrastructure, including identifying potential technologies for both fiber and microwave, devising and planning infrastructure expansion. A particular emphasis will be in designing shared backhaul that can accommodate multiple partners sharing the infrastructure (active and passive). You will leverage Facebook cross-functional team to engage mobile / wireless partners in the area of backhaul infrastructure, including identifying potential bottlenecks for connectivity, devising and planning backhaul solutions and bringing deep network expertise to projects that support infrastructure sharing and collaboration. In parallel, you will interface with MNOs, ISPs and wholesale bandwidth providers (both terrestrial and submarine) to help Facebook positively impact the diverse telecoms ecosystem. This position is full time and is based in Menlo Park, California.
- A backhaul technical expert dedicated to designing, from the ground up, the most efficient, cost effective backhaul solutions using transmission mediums such as fiber and wireless (microwave/mmWave) technologies.
- Work with the Facebook fiber infrastructure and partner teams to select technologies and vendors for shared backhaul that will lead to the most scalable and lowest cost per bit (Opex and Capex) deployments.
- Work with MNOs and ISPs to help design fiber networks (route, fiber technology, equipment) to address backhaul requirements (cost and capacity).
- Help Facebook's partners deconstruct and reconstruct the mobile network as part of reimagining the telecom value chain.
- Help influence fiber routes and designs to enable efficient shared backhaul, connecting the greatest number of towers and POPs.
- Advocate internally at Facebook and the partner community at large on how to maximize opportunities to successfully deploy new telecom infrastructure across partners and regions.
- Engage with operators and infrastructure partners on a deep technical level to help them transform their networks and their businesses.
- Assemble presentation materials and other written technical documentation in support of cross-functional communications with Facebook as well as with our external partners.
- Stay abreast of developments in the telecom infrastructure space and share that knowledge with the wider Infrastructure team.
- Support the direction and expansion of the team, helping to scope future roles as the charter of the team grows.
- Previous experience (8+ years) working in or with emerging market MNOs, ISPs or equipment vendors on backhaul architecture, engineering or operations or as a design, solutions, partner / sales or R&D engineer.
- Understanding of telecom infrastructure system architecture, network design principles coupled with experience in planning, deploying backhaul networks to support cellular/Wi-Fi access with a large range of data throughput requirements.
- Understanding of data network architecture and design principles coupled with experience with planning and deploying different wireless access and backhaul networks with a large range of data throughput requirements.
- Engineering and operational experience with key traditional (SONET / SDH, Microwave, VSAT) and emerging (DWDM + ROADM, PON, Ethernet, FSO) transport technologies.
- Experience with legacy backhaul network topologies and design strategies employed by 2G/3G/4G mobile network suppliers.
- Understanding of emerging network topologies, technologies and design strategies such as: mmWave / 5G, C-RAN (fronthaul, midhaul, backhaul) and SDN/NFV principles.
- Ability to identify alternate approaches to plan networks using multiple data sources coupled with advanced analytics.
- Familiarity with internet user data usage patterns, high bandwidth applications and impact on infrastructure.
- BA/BS or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree/experience.
- Communication skills including experience speaking to both technical and business audiences. Experience interacting with the full spectrum of partner resources from field to C-suite.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of time. International travel is required.
- Experience with small cell and Wi-Fi off-load
- Experience in backhaul network design and optimization including usage of industry standard planning tools, capacity estimation, traffic modeling, network dimensioning and network health evaluation.
- Foreign language skills
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top