Partner Engineer, Connectivity Infra Systems
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Attempting to connect the world requires an alternative approach to building and deploying telecom network infrastructure. Through organizations like the Telecom Infra Project (www.telecominfraproject.com (http://www.telecominfraproject.com/)) and through direct engagement with individual operators around the world, the team collaborates globally with the telecom industry to identify and execute a range of connectivity programs. If you have interest in working with operators, ISPs and other industry stakeholders to drive innovative, cutting edge, cost efficient wireless and network infrastructure projects that will deliver internet access to the unconnected while significantly scaling current networks â€" then this is a great role for you.
As a Partner Engineer focused on server systems, you will work closely with the Facebook Connectivity team and TIP ecosystem members to develop telecom infrastructure in the areas of wireless access, backhaul, core networking, optical and satellite communication systems. In parallel, you will interface with industry leading partners, including hardware/software vendors and systems solution providers. Finally, you will work closely with network operators adopting telecom infrastructure to understand how Facebook and its partners' contributions can be of most impact to this diverse ecosystem. This position is full-time and is based in Menlo Park, California.
- Identify fundamental use-cases and working with the ecosystem to design, from the ground up, the most efficient and cost-effective telecom infrastructure deployment and operational solutions.
- Work with MNOs/ISPs to study their connectivity infrastructure deployment and operational challenges, business cases and user experience expectations to bring forward disaggregated end-to-end solutions that can be deployed at scale.
- Work with the Facebook connectivity infrastructure and partner teams to select technologies and software vendors to build networks that will lead to the most scalable and lowest cost per bit (Opex and Capex) deployments.
- Engage with Facebook Connectivity engineering teams and ecosystem partners to showcase the capabilities of disaggregated solutions in demos and conduct end-to-end system validation in TIP Community labs.
- Advocate internally at Facebook, through the Telecom Infrastructure Project (TIP), and the partner community at large to maximize opportunities to successfully deploy new telecom infrastructure across partners and regions.
- Engage with operators and infrastructure partners technically to help transform their networks and businesses.
- Assemble presentation materials and technical documentation in support of cross-functional communications with Facebook as well as with our external partners.
- Draft white papers and blog posts to share with the broader community with the goal to introduce and drive adoption of TIP infrastructure.
- Stay abreast of developments in DevOps technologies, components and systems and share that knowledge with the wider Infrastructure team.
- Support the direction and expansion of the team, helping to scope future roles as the charter of the team grows.
- Manage the technical relationships with network operators and infrastructure partners to help reduce friction and remove obstacles facing telecom hardware/software contribution and market adoption.
- Identify key telecom network use case requirements, compile common feature sets and software API requests from operator partners to drive design parameters within Facebook programs and the technology vendor community.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally up to 25% of time.
- 4+ years of experience working in or with software solution providers, equipment vendors, semiconductors companies as a design, solutions, partner/sales or R&D engineer
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree/experience
- Experience understanding network operator deployment scenarios such as different geographies and population densities, indoor/outdoor, and uses cases such as fixed/mobile access, enterprise/public access to drive development of cost-effective and open infrastructure
- Knowledge in SDN/NFV principles
- Knowledge in centralized/distributed infrastructure architectures
- Experience with compute, storage and networking verticals â€" leading technologies and industry developments, partners, typical development cycles, performance expectations, current challenges and software solutions
- Experience with OpenStack and other cloud technologies
- Experience with containers and virtualization technologies
- Working knowledge of Python programming and shell scripting
- Knowledge of networking technologies and fundamentals
- Experience with remote server control. e.g. IPMItool and BMC
- Experience with Linux-based system administration
- Experience with communication and communicating with technical and business audiences including the C-suite
Back to top