Outside Plant Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Facebook's global network, comprised of cutting-edge platforms, is looking for an Outside Plant (OSP) Engineer to join the Backbone Engineering team. This team is responsible for designing, implementing and supporting one of the worldâ€™s largest and most sophisticated optical fiber networks.
The role requires an in depth understanding of current fiber optic design standards and industry processes. Leveraging GIS based design support software programs and close coordination with site fielding staff and graphics personnel you will drive the final product.
As an OSP engineer, you will have the unique opportunity to shape Facebook's future fiber network to accommodate our explosive growth. You will be responsible for the initial determination of the pathway routing and construction alternatives to the final design generation and documentation to support the placement of the physical fiber infrastructure supporting Outside and Inside Plant communication facilities.
This is a full-time role located in our Denver, CO office.
- Responsible for design and engineering of overall OSP Solution for Dark Fiber Metro and Long Haul networks.
- Integrate innovations into the design and engineering practices and influence vendors' road-map.
- Responsible for preparing technical specification for issuing Request for Information and Request for Tender for route designs, product selection and vendor selection.
- Responsible for tracking fiber and duct capacity and initiate upgrades before its fully utilized.
- Manage the production of efficient designs for new development, network relocations and network upgrades.
- Continuously improve project operation in terms of technical solutions and delivery strategies, and jointly own the timelines for delivery of routes.
- Quality and safety reviews of outside plant civil design and analysis of underground and pole transition infrastructure.
- Provide technical direction and inputs for contract scopes, survey and design guidance system, construction requirements, project delivery and acceptance solution.
- Establish relationships with local third-parties and ensure efficient process are in place, while providing engineering vendor selection, OSP product selection.
- 10+ years of experience in planning, design, and implementation of Long Haul dark fiber networks.
- 7+ years of experience with aerial, underground, OSP copper, fiber and substructure design, interconnecting and hand-off to feeder and distribution routes, to connect to other fiber providers.
- 7+ years experience with various tools used in planning and design of dark fiber infrastructure.
- 7+ years experience driving design standards and specifications of dark fiber networks and OSP projects.
- 7+ years experience working with optical cables and fiber products and experience in OSP engineering.
- 5+ years of experience working with telephone industry standards, local telecom practices and procedures, local city, state and governmental rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to employ good troubleshooting skills and creative problem solving abilities under pressure.
- Ability to develop the process flow to accelerate designs with incredible value.
- Ability to work cross-functionally to obtain and use key data, and coordinate with the team to track as-built documentation.
- Good understanding of external data sources that exists for field information (geological, pre-existing cables and conduits, utility pole loading, weather patterns and constraints etc.) and record verification (ROW, encumbrance, access to professional/private/military facilities when applicable).
- Knowledge in SDH/OTN/PTN/DWDM Transmission and GPON.
- Possess good business acumen and able to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience directly managing a team.
- Experience managing capital and technical programs.
- BICSI credential.
- Experience with Project Management - Primavera , CAD - AutoCAD, GIS - 3-GIS, ArcGIS, ESRI, Shape files, Fiber Infra Specific - Bentley Microstation V8i, OSPInsight.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top