As an Opto-Mechanical Engineer at Oculus Research, you will develop state of the art prototype structures, mechanisms, and solutions for next generation near to eye display (NED) and Imaging Systems to create transformative experiences. You will become part of a team exploring new concepts through analytical modeling and fast iterative prototyping. We want people who work well in teams; can brainstorm big ideas; work in new technology areas; able to drive a concept into a prototype; and can envision how a prototype could transition into a high-volume consumer product. Starting with a broad scientific background, be willing to become a quick expert in a new area, and quickly build new prototypes using novel materials and/or by integrating structures in new ways leveraging a strong mechanical background. Frequently only one or two design facets will be new so you'll be in a supporting role; sometimes, the mechanics will be new and you'll be the star.
We're looking for a modeler and hands-on builder of precision mechanism and/or electromechanical designs interested in applying this knowledge to solve complex optical imaging problems. This is a full-time position and requires a degree in mechanical engineering or similar, and a strong background in product design and prototyping. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in a dynamic cross-functional team and exhibit excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Lead Opto-Mechanical Engineering activities in cross-functional team environment.
- Model, build, test, and refine prototypes.
- Participate on a research team providing advice/guidance/insights to your peers in your area(s) of expertise.
- Apply rigorous engineering and tolerance techniques to high precision design requirements in the areas such as Optics, Mechanics, and Motion Control.
- 7+ years (with BS) or 5+ years (with MS) of product design/prototyping experience
- Experience working on problems with little oversight or direction
- Experience in precision mechanisms, mechatronics, and/or electro-mechanical systems
- Experience in various manufacturing and rapid prototyping techniques (Machining, 3D printing, laser cutting, etc.)
- Experience in 3D design modeling
- Direct application of Analytical Methods (such as FEA using COMSOL, ANSYS, etc.)
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Experience with design for manufacturing and/or manufacturing process development
- Experience in SolidWorks 3D modeling software
- Application of product design/prototyping to precision optical systems (in particular optical metrology)
Back to top