Optics Lab Manager
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
Oculus Research is seeking a dynamic leader to join us as Optical Lab Manager in Redmond, WA. Your job will be to support a world-class, multi-disciplinary team of researchers. You will marshal our efforts to provide lab spaces used to gain a scientific understanding of human perception, haptics, audio, input, computer vision, graphics, optics, display technology, and whatever else we dream up to create the ultimate VR experience. You will ensure this understanding is widely disseminated through public and internal presentations, top-tier scientific publications, whitepapers, and patents. This understanding will be further proven out by creating prototypes of next-generation VR hardware and experiences, leveraging the wide-ranging engineering talent within Oculus Research, a process that will be directly driven by the research team.
- Manage the operational aspects and equipment for multiple labs responsible for optics fabrication & characterization, materials development, and nanofabrication cleanroom.
- Responsible for coordinating cleanroom & lab build-out, equipment installation & upgrade.
- Define and enforce safety protocols, ensure compliance with EHS protocols.
- Establish workflow management system for work-in-progress optimization.
- Define and coordinate preventative maintenance across all lab equipment and auxiliary tools.
- Lead the emergency response team for the multiple optical labs.
- Responsible for the scheduling, setup and removal of short-term experimental setups.
- Responsible for maintaining laboratory stock (substrates, chemicals, consumables, etc.).
- Support engineer and research staff in resolving issues within the labs.
- Work with the site facilities team to address issues affecting labs.
- Support laboratory training as needed for critical tooling.
- Able to troubleshoot down equipment and auxiliaries.
- 5 or more years managing a nanofabrication facility with core responsibilities in operations and facilities.
- 5 or more years of experience working with vacuum system operation & maintenance.
- 5 or more years of experience working in a cleanroom work environment.
- 5 or more years of experience working with plasma and coating systems.
- Familiar with electron beam systems.
- Familiar in operational methodologies within an R&D environment.
- Experience managing vendor and contractor engagements in a leadership position
- Communication skills.
- Experience working in an environment with competing requirements.
- Experience working in a hands-on fashion to resolve equipment issues prior to pulling in vendor field service.
- Experience working with optical fabrication and metrology.
- Experience working in a chemical lab.
- Understanding of chemical handing & disposal protocols.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top