Optical Systems Engineer
- Woodinville, WA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
At Facebook Reality Labs, we're developing the future of Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR/AR). We are currently seeking innovative system leads with a desire for working inter-disciplinary to develop technology and solve complex problems. Your job will be to drive and work with groups that are doing research and development for sensors and display architectures, acting as the technical owner or contributor for one or more system platforms, aimed driving state of the art technology though development to shipping consumer VR/AR systems. This position requires someone who has expertise working with early technology paths; able to work collaboratively to manage system maturation, requirements, and respective risks; and focused on execution while providing clear and effective communication to remove barriers across the team.
- Drive optical system requirements definitions. Flow down optical system requirements to sub-system and component level. Resolve requirements discrepancies at different levels.
- Identify gaps in optical modeling and metrology development, and drive closure.
- Drive troubleshooting process to build correlation between optical modeling and metrology, and between sub-system performance and system performance.
- Develop new concepts and technologies for Near-Eye Display (NED) system.
- Cross-functional engagement with internal and external partners to develop concepts and prototypes into realizable product hardware designs.
- Masters degree in Engineering, Physics, Optics, Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- Combination of education and experience in the research, development, and integration of optical systems or components including, but not limited to, imaging and display systems.
- Experience in developing systems with multi-function/multi-disciplinary threads.
- Knowledge of optics including systems design and integration, imaging, illumination, radiometry and photometry, physical and geometric optics, statistics, and polarization.
- Experience in optical and sensor system design maturation, including requirement development from physical based modeling, and knowledge of fabrication/vendor processes.
- Experience in one or more system optimization and analysis tools, such as MATLAB, C++, or Java.
- Track record of increasing responsibilities and decision-making experience.
- PhD and/or postdoctoral assignment in the field of Optical Sciences, Physics, Electrical Engineering or related degree (Masters with significant industry experience also accepted).
- 5+ years of experience in research or advanced optics development.
Back to top