Optical Scientist, Interferometric Imaging Development (PhD University Grad)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
At Facebook Reality Labs our goal is to make great consumer virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences that ship in five to ten years. Come work alongside world leading scientists and engineers to create the technology that makes VR and AR pervasive and universal. Join the adventure of a lifetime as we make science fiction real and change the world.
We are currently seeking an innovative scientist with experience in materials, process, and optical imaging to work on near-eye display technology. This is a full-time position and requires an advanced degree in material science, engineering, optical engineering, physics, or similar, as well as experience in interferometric or holographic imaging and associated materials.
- Drive organic materials platform development
- Establish fundamental understanding of materials structure-property relationships
- Support component prototyping for future AR displays architectures
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to create robust development plan supporting the definition and delivery of sub-component technologies meeting requires for size, weight, cost and performance targets
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a PhD degree in the field of Material Science, Engineering or Physics
- 3+ years experience with material synthesis and structure-property relationships
- Experience in defining ideal molecular structure to meet performance targets
- Experience with organic material concepts and organic/inorganic chemistry
- Experience in optical setups for material characterizations
- 1+ years experience with optical metrology tools such as interferometry, ellipsometry, UV-VIS
- Experience in material characterization techniques such as FTIR, NMR, etc.
- Interpersonal experience - cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Must have the ability to obtain work authorization in the United States at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Interest in hands-on laboratory work to synthesize and test new material platforms
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by first-authored publications at leading journals such as Optics Letters, ACS, or similar
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top