Optical Scientist, Advanced Optics Design (PhD University Grad)
Facebook Reality Labs(FRL) in the design of virtual and augmented reality systems. Come work alongside world leading scientists and engineers to create the technology that makes VR and AR pervasive and universal. Join the adventure of a lifetime as we make science fiction real and change the world.
We are currently seeking innovative scientists with experience designing and modeling advanced optical systems for near-to-eye display applications. This is a full-time position and requires an advanced degree in optical engineering, physics, or similar, and a strong background in optical system design and innovation. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in a dynamic cross-functional team.
- Lead the development of novel algorithms, design and simulation methods for advanced wearable display optics
- Hands-on algorithm development for modeling of electromagnetic interactions between light and complex structures at nanoscale
- Implementation of algorithms into larger computational toolsets for use with broader optics research and development teams
- Innovation of new ways to achieve novel optical functions to revolutionize the future of wearable display systems and applications
- Collaborate with the larger Oculus research team to provide guidance on advanced optics technologies and design methods for advanced optical components in display, sensing, and imaging applications
- Currently has or is in the process of obtaining a PhD degree or completing a postdoctoral assignment in the field of Optical Sciences, Physics, Electrical Engineering or similar
- Must be available to start employment on or after March 1, 2018
- 3+ years experience with electromagnetic modeling and analysis of light propagation in nanoscale structures, anisotropic materials, films, or holographic elements
- 3+ years experience with algorithm development for electromagnetic light propagation and implementation of code with C++
- Experience with methods of light propagation both in wave and ray domains as well as in mixed models
- Experience with optical design and modeling methods and tools for imaging and illumination systems
- Experience with experimental optics and laboratory work on setting up of proof-of-concept systems and in performance evaluation
- Interpersonal experience: cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Able to obtain work authorization in the U.S. beginning in 2018
- Experience working with electromagnetic theory, modeling optical structures, running simulations, and building software tools for simulation work
- Lab and testing experience
- Proven track record of achieving significant results as demonstrated by grants, fellowships, patents, as well as first-authored publications at leading workshops or conferences such as Applied Optics, Optics Letters, Optics Express, and relevant SIGGRAPH, SID, OSA, SPIE or similar
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top