Optical Network Operations Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is looking for an Optical Network Operations Engineer who can help monitor the network and troubleshoot network issues, and ensure we are able to provide guaranteed performance and capacity to our products.
- Monitor Optical Long Haul and Metro networks, and troubleshoot a variety of issues in a timely manner.
- Perform fault isolation based on the troubleshooting outcome.
- Coordinate with smart hands and optical equipment manufacturers to resolve issues and restore service.
- Work cross-functionally and cross-regionally with other optical and network operational support teams.
- Partner with and escalate to, various Facebook teams in pursuant of restoring service and limiting impact.
- Manage and escalate critical events while communicating clearly and concisely.
- Document and optimize operational processes and procedures.
- Contribute to the creation of monitors, alerts, dashboards and metrics to drive continuous improvements.
- Identify areas for automation and create or participate in the solution with scripting or coding skills.
- Support deployment, and move, add, change teams.
- Partner with audit teams to ensure accurate inventory and documentation.
- Knowledge and experience of DWDM platforms.
- 5+ years of optical operations experience.
- Knowledge of Fiber-optic technology including cable types, connector types, optic types, and optical transport technologies.
- Experience in analyzing situations, troubleshooting, systems and tools, and problem solving.
- Documentation and communication experience.
- Knowledge of DWDM transport/transmission networks as well as transceivers.
- Knowledge with the Network Management system (NMS), Element Management system (EMS) and CLI interfaces of different optical vendor platforms.
- Experience in Unix systems administration with scripting in Python and/or C, C++.
- In depth experience with network analysis and thorough troubleshooting skills.
- Knowledge of third party management platforms for Layer 1 equipment.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in a large-scale production network environment.
- Prior knowledge of Network Operations a distinct advantage.
- Ability to operate autonomously, strong analytical skills, coupled with a strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top