Optical Network Engineer
(London, United Kingdom)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook is looking for an Optical Network Engineer to join the Edge and Network Services team. This team is responsible for deploying and supporting one of the world’s largest and complex networks. As a member of this team, you will have a unique opportunity to shape our optical network infrastructure.This is a full time position based in our London office.
Competitive Salary including the following benefits apply:
Opening: March 21th 2017
Closing: April 21th 2017
- Deploy, configure, and support a large-scale production optical network that spans ULH terrestrial, regional metros and subsea networks, interconnecting data centers and Point of Presence (POP) sites across many regions.
- Generate implementation plans and provide technical leadership and guidance to vendors and field engineers during deployment activities.
- Compile Bill of Materials for each deployment and maintenance.
- Create and maintain optical network designs for metro, regional and long-haul DWDM systems.
- Collaborate with vendors/manufacturers to evaluate new hardware/software and create optical standards for network deployment teams.
- Work with network provisioning engineers to assist with turning up new circuits.
- Schedule and perform network maintenance, repair, and upgrade tasks as needed while limiting the impact on the production network.
- Work closely with Network Engineering, Logistics, and equipment vendors as new equipment and technologies are integrated into the production network.
- Queue Management for tasks and incidents, participate in ongoing DC/POP deployment and optimization projects.
- Responsible for asset management of networking gear in datacenter and POP sites including RMA.
- Build and maintain POP site documentation including specs, cross connects, and inventories.
- Participate in on call activities and follow escalation process to support the infrastructure 24/7.
- Understanding of optical network theory, current and upcoming generation of transport technologies and the operations of large networks.
- Hands-on experience with DWDM equipment including WSS, EDFA and Raman amplifiers and coherent transponders.
- Experience with implementation of optical network designs, and management of large service providers or ICP networks.
- Experience with field-based work in POPs, carrier hotels, data centers and Central Office environments.
- Experience with optical test equipment and solid optical troubleshooting skills using OTDR, OSA, BERT and optical power meters.
- Technical knowledge of various regional Data Center electrical and cooling configurations, IEC, NEMA standards, AC/DC power, power redundancy scenarios.
- Excellent communication skills, ability to direct tasks to carriers and manage deployment vendors remotely.
- Experience creating rack elevations and other planned/install/as-built documentation.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex optical issues and help troubleshoot using creative problem solving abilities.
- Strong attention to detail with excellent time management and organization skills.
- 10% of travel required.
- Ability to lift/move 30-40 lbs on a daily basis.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top