Optical Engineer, Viewing Optics
(Menlo Park, CA)
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
The Oculus team at Facebook builds the VR hardware and platform to let you experience anything, anywhere, with anyone. Additionally, Facebook has teams dedicated to building social experiences in VR that make it easier to spend time with your friends, wherever they are. Virtual reality's potential to connect the world is immense—and we're just getting started. Oculus Research is driving the state of the art forward with breakthrough work in computer vision, advanced optics, eye tracking, mixed reality, and new ways to map the human body.
The mission of the Oculus Hardware Engineering team is to develop and launch world-class hardware that enables next-generation experiences. We work closely with a wide array of creative, technical and operations partners as we push the boundaries of what is possible. We are technological vanguards of the Virtual, Mixed, and Augmented Reality era.
Oculus is looking for a highly self-motivated Optical Engineer interested in working in the challenging, fast-paced environment. The person will lead the development, qualification and implementation of viewing optics (VO) for Oculus virtual reality (VR) products.
- Own the implementation of VO from design to production phase for VR products.
- Work with internal cross-functional teams, such as optical lens designer, product designer, display, system, quality and reliability engineers to develop specifications, perform in-depth performance analysis and trouble shoot lens-level and system-level issues.
- Work with internal program manager, operation and supply chain to drive industry partners to deliver VO that meets performance, cost and production volume targets.
- Work with cross-functional teams to define VO roadmap for future VR products, establish rapid-prototyping capability for complex VO architecture, and drive from concept development, technology development to product development.
- Experience in at least one optical design software package: Zemax, CODE V, LightTools, FRED.
- Experience in ophthalmic optics design and human vision
- Experience in Matlab or Python, SolidWorks or NX, Minitab or JMP.
- Experience in optical lens fabrication from prototyping to mass production.
- Experience in Design for Six Sigma and Measurement System Analysis.
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically up to 20%.
- BS degree in Optical Engineering, Physics or a related technical discipline with 10+ years of experience or advanced degree in Optical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical discipline with 5+ years of experience.
- Experience in optical metrology.
- Experience in managing 3rd party vendor, international manufacturing partners.
- Communication skills in Mandarin, Korean, or Japanese.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top